Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2johny3

New to Apple and Plum trees

mom2johny3
9 years ago

I just bought a house that has an apple and a plum tree. I am not sure what kind either of them are. I do not know the best way to take care of them but I would like to learn. There are lots of apples on the tree. I dont have a picture of the tree yet, but I do have a pic of some apples we picked. The plum tree had LOTS of plums filling every branch, but the people that owned the house picked them ALL right before we took possession of the house. So we wont have any of those till next year, I am guessing. Is there anything I need to do to the plum tree to make sure it produces next year?
They used to have 2 apple and 2 plum trees, but one of each of them were cut down. Not sure why. I did read that the trees do better in pairs. So will that mean my trees wont do good next year? Any info and help you could send my way would be great and I thank you very much.

I live in St. Louis Missouri.

This post was edited by mom2johny3 on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 16:53

Comments (10)

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Were the two trees which were cut down, cut down recently? You can usually tell by looking at the stump left behind...if there is one.
    Your apples look to be Ginger Gold or maybe Grimes Golden, but you must realize there are 100's if not 1000's of apples that would look very similar. Golden Delicious is very common, but don't often exhibit the russetting that your's have.
    Fruit trees almost always do better in pairs due to pollination requirements. Nearly all apples, in fact, let's just say "ALL" apples require a pollinator. A different variety that blooms at about the same time...this is so the trees can have sex, carried out by bees, insects the wind etc. Some fruit trees can be self pollinating, but even those generally set better with a pollinator. If your plum is European it will most likely need a pollinator, though some can be self fertile. It may be that the pollinators were what was cut down. Often an old apple tree in the neighborhood will successfully pollinate your tree, these trees can even be ornamental flowering crabs.
    For better help here it is important that you list your growing zone. You can click on the profile tab from this page and it will tell you your zone and then list it. You can also google "USDA growing zone followed by your zip code".
    There is a lot you can do to get good fruit. Read up on pruning, spraying insecticide/fungicides etc. Hang out here a little...read and ask questions. Lots of sharp and helpful folks here. I'm not one of the sharp ones BTW.
    You will probably want pollinators for those trees. It would be helpful if you can find out from the former owners what varieties they are. If not, it is not necessary, but would be helpful. Maybe your neighbor will know. If you can get some photos of the trees and maybe a close-up of one of those apples, someone here may be able to identify it. Trees come in all shapes, colors and sizes, with their size primarily predicated by the rootstock they are grafted on to.
    Are the apples you picked any good? Are they tart or sweet, crisp or soft, juicy or dry or somewhere in between.
    The fact that you bothered to pick your apples and post a question here shows some interest. Study it a bit and ask your questions here...you may find that you've discovered a new hobby full of reward and fulfillment with equal parts frustration and disappointment.
    You will be very welcome here I'm sure.

• mom2johny3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am in zone 6b.

The two trees that were cut down, it couldnt have been too long ago. When I look at the house on Google Maps I can see the trees are still there, that is how I know what they were. I will attach pics of the stumps. And pictures of the trees. The plum tree, every little stem thing had a plum, every branch was super full. It would have been nice to have some, but they took every last one. At least they left the apples. I would like to have full trees again next summer that's why I am here asking questions. I need to know what I need to do. So If I dont have the other trees to pollinate then I wont get fruit on the trees next year?

• mom2johny3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The pic before was the full Plum tree and there is a branch.

• mom2johny3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Full apple tree

• mom2johny3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

close up of the apple tree

• mom2johny3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another close up of apple tree

• mom2johny3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another close up of apple tree

• mom2johny3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

apple tree stump

• mom2johny3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Plum tree stump

• appleseed70
    9 years ago

Yeah...it wasn't long ago that they were cut down...probably this year. They mulched with grass clippings and they are still very visible.
    Those trees were kept sprayed. Your apples show no insect damage or fungus issues and the foliage is too nice to have not been sprayed. If you want your apples to look like that next year, you will need to spray.
    That is a very nice and healthy apple tree BTW. It could use a little "opening up" in the dormant season, but that's up to you. It's hard to tell from the photo, but if I had to guess, I'd say the plum might be Asian.