Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birkdalesteve

March Lawn Care in Houston, TX

BirkdaleSteve
10 years ago

Hi,
I've been struggling with various areas of my yard for well over a year now, and I finally found this fantastic forum - plenty of very knowledgeable and experienced people here!

I originally came across the forums when I was searching for help on how to switch from St. Augustine (Raleigh) grass to Bermuda. I have two large dogs that run throughout the back yard, and twice now my sod has failed to take root, so I'm trying Bermuda in stages in the back.

My question is almost two part: tomorrow starts the first weekend in March, when temperatures in the Houston area typically begin to rise. For those with St. Augustine grass, what do you normally do at this point in the year for your lawn? If my St. Augustine in my front yard needs some help (but not enough to call for any sod), what would you recommend?

I'm pretty sure that I can't do much with new Bermuda seed until soil temps stay above 70 deg., so I don't imagine there's much I can do for the back yard except for possibly the much-needed leveling project that I read about (link attached at bottom).

If I plan on seeding Bermuda in my backyard where patches of St. Augustine exist, would you recommend anything for the month of March? Perhaps something to kill off weeds before they really start to grow in the Spring?

Thanks to all for any help, advice, or links you provide - I greatly appreciate it.

-----------------
Zone: 8 or 8b
Soil Analysis: (will be mailed off to Texas A&M this weekend)
Dogs: Active Golden Retrievers
Frustration Level with Lawn: Contemplating paving over everything with concrete.

Here is a link that might be useful: One of The Good Lawn Leveling Threads

Comments (4)