Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_taggart

How about a contest?

m_taggart
16 years ago

Has anyone ever proposed a "Best In Show" contest for best house plant specimen? Everyone could submit a photo of their best plant and everyone could vote, but not for their own. Could have categories for foliage and flowering plants or just do best of all. I'd like to see the top pick from everyone's collection and this could make for some great bragging rights.

Any ideas?

M

Comments (17)

• saucer
    16 years ago

I would be keen on participating in this! I'm sure we don't want to complicate matters by having too many categories, but I think it would be most fair by having separate categories for flowering and foliage plants.

• mrbrownthumb
    16 years ago

Sounds like fun and foliage and flowering categories are a good idea.

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

I'd play.

• hornetwife
    16 years ago

I would give it a try too.

• dampflippers
    16 years ago

You could also have a category for cacti and succulents.

• pattysplants
    16 years ago

Sure, I'm in.

• micke
    16 years ago

this sounds like fun, I would play:)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

It does sound like fun..I'm in.
    How about several catagories? Foliage, blooming, vines, C&S's, variegated? Toni

• pepperomia
    16 years ago

I'm in for sure. Does it have to be a plant that you CURRENTLY have in your collection - as in, you take a picture just to enter into this contest - or can it be an older photo, or something you used to have that you don't anymore? I guess I vote for a new, current picture.

• marquest
    16 years ago

I like the idea. I would enjoy seeing everyone's best.

• blondetazz0924
    16 years ago

What a great idea:) What would the winner get?

• m_taggart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think it should definitely be a plant currently in your collection. I'm guessing that the number of categories would depend on the number of people entering contestants. Few entries would result in only a few contestants in each category. I think maybe a foliage and flowering category would best represent all plant types unless we get a large number of entries. How about we begin posting pictures a week from now on a new thread? That will give everyone time to primp, clean, and photograph their entries. Any concerns, questions, decrees, guffaws?

M

• hornetwife
    16 years ago

How many entries can we enter for each catagory? Will there be a limit or enter as many as we want? I can't wait to see everyone's beauties!
    Lori

• water_roots
    16 years ago

Great idea, and lots of fun. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your gorgeous plants (like growhappy's eye candy on her "The Schlumb Show" thread :) I would also love to see a thread full of pictures of 'old' plants at one time. Some people I know have plants that they've grown for years; one friend of mine has a 40 year old Dracaena Janet Craig; my mother has a 20 year old Aglaonema that has provided enough shoots for half the city (almost joking) and a ten year old Hibiscus, a profuse bloomer that keeps growing bigger each year; another friend has a 10 or 15 year old Gardenia that blooms every year and is so HUGE; my mother-in-law has a 45 year old palm that she received as a gift when her third child was born; and so on...

Anyhow, those are just small examples off the top of my head... It amazes me how some plants grace homes for many, many years and I'd love for us to write about - and post pictures of - our own long-lived successes...

For now, looking forward to this thread...

• odyssey3
    16 years ago

I'd like to play. I just wished we'd started last month. Everything looked better last month.

• shelsob1994
    16 years ago

I'm In.
    Michelle:)

• hornetwife
    16 years ago

WaterRoots, I would love to see pics and stories about older plants too!
    As for the contest, should some rules be established such as how many entries can one have in each category? Best of show will be hard: comparing all of those apples and oranges but making too many categories may complicate things too. Who's going first?
    Lori