Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Junk from the old/Junk from the new

oldalgebra
15 years ago

Here's a couple of pictures of Nail Bird. My father made him when he was in his late 60's. (I'm 60 now.) Nail Bird is "Junk from the old."

Please notice the plant marker. It was made by my 4-year old grandson. The marker is "Junk from the new." My backyard is full of these plant markers. I call the yard my Kindergarten Botanical Garden. I think my father would be pleased to have his garden creation share space with with his great grandson's.

{{gwi:162923}}{{gwi:162924}}

Comments (17)

• leveta
    15 years ago

How wonderful they are. You are very artistic.

• kelly_oh
    15 years ago

I love that bird, and that is some pretty great writing for a 4 year old!!
    Do you know how in the world your father made that bird? I'd love to see some more pictures of the bird, more close up and underneath.

Question, tho, aren't those impatiens and not vinca?

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Nail Bird is absolutely fantastic. I love him. He will have to go in the Inspiration Album for sure. And the story of your Dad making him and now in your garden with art by his great grandson, well I'm a real mush for family stories like this. I smile and tear-up and everything.
    You made my day with this "feel good story".

hugs, Karen

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Gorgeous.have you made a nail cockroach yet?

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Great garden vignette! Your Dad is smilin' down! Your grandson's artistic plant marker is wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing! Jeanne S.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kelly_oh,
    My dad took a welding class from the local community college and he bought used tanks and gear and was into metal sculpture for a while. I donÂt know what the bird's back and head are made of, but the feathers and claws are from used nails (hence, the name).
    I'll show my grandson your nice note about his printing. Actually, his small muscle control is not very well developed (typical of boys), but he competes with his two older sisters who could print and draw at a very early age. When he saw them writing out plant markers for me, he said, "Gramdma, where are my rocks?" So, he got the ones that read, "ROSE" (with the word 'climbing' left off), "JADE" (didnÂt include the word ÂplantÂ), and FICUS. And when I ran out of short words, he became the official rock washer.
    The flowers are definitely vinca but they do look like impatiens, don't they!

Purplemoon, I am flattered that Nail Bird may be in the Inspiration Album! I know Dad is flattered too.

Goldenpond, I'm sure I couldn't make a nail cockroach, but I'd LOVE to have one. :)

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kelly-oh,
    I forgot to add this link for you.
    Denise C.

Here is a link that might be useful: Close-ups of Nail Bird

• kelly_oh
    15 years ago

Denise,
    thanks for the close ups, though I still have NO idea how he made it! I wonder if the body might have been an old fan blade or something like that. Who knows!
    Hmmm, being from Ohio, the only vinca I'm familiar with is the vine with the pretty purple flower! Good to learn there are other varieties!

Kelly

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

That is so wonderful to have the nail bird that your father made. Its a real heirloom for sure. I am sure he is proud to stand next to your grandsons rock too!!! They are both really great!!!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Nailbird's two photos are in the Album, thought he deserved both views shown. I put him in the metal album. Since I didn't crop down the pictures, you can tell your grandson his rocks are in our Inspiration Album too, maybe he'll get a kick out of that.

hugs, Karen

• daybees
    15 years ago

Hey Oldalgebra, (Is there a story behind this name)
    I loved your nail bird and grandson's rock.
    Deb

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Wow! What an awesome gift and memory from your dad! I love the bird and the plant markers. I remember when my daughter would paint things for "mommy's garden". I loved it!

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Your dad was certainly creative! A Garden Junker for sure! I just love Nail Bird. Very original ... I haven't seen anything like it. I was wondering if its back is a bunch of nails welded together. I just love how he made the legs. And it looks so cool on that stump.

Your grandson did a wonderful job on the plant marker, especially for a 4 year old! What a great idea to use a stone and giving the kids a fun project to do!

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

That nail bird is awesome. I want one. I'll have to show hubby. Maybe one of these days he will be able to slow down and be able to create things like this. I love that you are involving your grandson in your gardening. That's the way to keep your love of gardening and junking going, passing it down to the young.

• oldalgebra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just a couple of follow-ups:

Kelly-oh, Purplemoon, et. al: When I read the printing compliments to my grandson and got to the part that said, "for a 4 year old," he suddenly perked up and said with a big smile on his face, "That's me!"

Daybees: Concerning the screen name - I'm a retired algebra teacher.

Luna l f, Nail Bird's stump is the original stump he was mounted on long ago. It's lost a lot of it's bark since then, but it weathers nicely.

I've tried looking closely to figure out how the back was made, but can't. It seems that there are more and more times when I say to myself, "Why didn't I ask him/her about that when I had the chance?"

Again, thanks for all the compliments. Sure makes a person feel good.

• mcduff1313
    15 years ago

Those are very cool! I love it!

• calicocat1967
    15 years ago

Love the bird. Also like the plant markers. Great way to keep the generations going.