Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Manual Lawnmower - Please help me choose one?

gardenbug
13 years ago

I want to purchase a manual lawnmower but I don't know which one to get? I have a small front yard and this would be perfect for me to use.

Can anyone recommend one or advise which ones not to get?

Thank you.

Comments (7)

• NEWORLEANS-YAT
    13 years ago

how big is your yard? what type of grass? do you have weeds, sticks, tree roots?

• roadbike
    13 years ago

Hi. There are several recent messages on Fiskars and other push type reel lawn mowers. So scroll down. Just to be clear you are looking for thattype of mower and not a powered rotary right? Push reel mowers do require their own routine maintenance which includes blade sharpening to keep them cutting correctly.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you.
    Neworleans...My lawn is about 15' x 25'
    There are no sticks, rocks, no weeds, no tree roots. It's the front yard of my small home and it's very clean of any debris that would harm the mower. It's fescue I believe.

roadbike...Fiskars? okay, I can go and check out their website. I can also check around my community to see if anyone sharpens blades. Thanks for the tip.

• NEWORLEANS-YAT
    13 years ago

The fiskars wont need sharpening. I have The Fiskars, Brill Razor, and the Mascot Silent cut. I would recommend the FISKARS.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Neworleans,
    Thank you so much for your help. My neighbor just purchased a near new Brill Razor on Craigslist. He seems to really like it, so I did think about this one.

Just curious, when cutting the grass does all the cut grass blow at you or away from you. I'm going to check out the Fiskars next.

• NEWORLEANS-YAT
    13 years ago

I have a brand new Brill Razor if your interested. I never cut my yard with it.

it depends on which mower you have.

• dwrecktor
    13 years ago

ALL reel mowers will need sharpening sooner or later, including the Fiskars. One thing to keep in mind, most push reel mower are disposable. What I mean by that is the cost to sharpen the reel by grinding can be almost as much as the cost of a new unit. You can prolong the life of your push reel by avoiding rocks & other debris when mowing, obviously. Also, you can backlap the reel to help keep it sharp. But backlapping can only go so far til you need to have the reel grinded to be sharp again. And at that point, you will probably have to make a decision to have the work done, or buy a new unit.