Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janetgia

Re-introduction, with link to junk pictures!

janetgia
15 years ago

Hi all - just a quick note to introduce myself... I'm Janet from Des Moines, Iowa - it's been a long time since I've visited the forum, but have sure enjoyed looking at everyone's projects.

This year, my garden barely got started when we got hit very hard by the flooding, so there hasn't been much "garden junking" going on for me this year. BUT, I wanted to share a few pictures from days past... We'll be moving as a result of the flood, so I will be taking a little of my junk with me. Some of the items in these pictures don't even exist anymore... one of the neat things about junk is that it evolves - stuff ages and weathers when it's left outside, making room for more junk! :)

You can see all my pictures in my "Patio & Gardening 2004" and "Patio & Gardening 2006" albums on Webshots.

A few of my favorite things:

~ The glass globes that used to be part of some wild 70's lamps, turned in to garden art.

~ The steel cut-out rams that used to be used for target practice. I unearthed those at a friend's house during construction, painted them up and mounted them on the fence.

~ The three-pane window, which I painted and turned into a bird feeding tray.

~ A little table I made out of a found wicker base, thrift store gold tray, dollar store silk petals, and a ready-made round glass top.

~ And, a plastic cupboard (curbside find) that I painted up for a garden-central tool and utility box.

Most of this stuff has not survived the weather over the past few years, but I am looking forward to creating some new things at our new home.

Thanks for looking! I'm sure inspired by all your wonderful creative projects!

Janet

Here is a link that might be useful: Janet's Junk

Comments (8)

• lacensuch
    15 years ago

Welcome back. I loved strolling through your pictures. I especially loved the glass globes from old lamps. They looked so colorful in your garden!
    I hope the move is successful for you.
    Thanks for sharing
    Blessings!
    ml

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

My heart goes out to you, Janet! How disheartening to have so much of your fun and pretty stuff destroyed. But you seem to be taking things in stride and have a great attitude about it. You'll just have fun creating garden junk for your new home! You will have to have your DH carve your names on a tree at your new house too. I loved the globe garden ... lots of gorgeous colored light shades! You sure had some beautiful irises (one of my favorites) and hostas. Geez, I feel like crying and it isn't even my garden! I hope your new home brings you many happy years of flood-free junking and gardening! Can't wait to see what you do with the new house.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Hi, Janet and welcome back! It was hard to hear about your losses, but it sounds as though you're looking forward to rebuilding your gardens. You have a great attitude and I'm glad you shared your albums again. I love your yellow frame and window. Keep at it! With your talent, we'll enjoy years of future projects right along with you!

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Janet..thanks for sharing your gardens. I hope you can take some of your beautiful iris, hostas, columbines, etc. with you on your move. Yes, junk "evolves"...thank goodness! It will be a new challenge for you all...starting over! And your creations will be wonderful!

I live near New Hartford where so many people lost everything with the tornado and then the floods this summer... 240 homes out of 270...many that NEVER flooded before. We are in the country so personal property not affected by the floods. We are helping "re-build" our town again. School will be opening on schedule Aug. 18th. So many volunteers still coming in! AWESOME!

I've rattled on...but I am so glad you shared with this post...a story of more "survivors!" Thanks again for sharing. Jeanne S.

• Bright199
    15 years ago

It's good to hear from you.. I remember some of your treasures. I'm soo sorry you have been through soo much. I too hope you were able to save some of those wonderful iris! Please keep us updated on the move.

• kemmie
    15 years ago

so sorry you lost all your yard treasures, but i am glad that you and your family are safe. hope you are able to make even more unique yard art at your new home.

• janetgia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for the warm "welcome back." It's certainly been a challenging year, but yes I plan on taking as many plants with me as I can!

Jeanne, your neighbors are in my thoughts and prayers... school starts here on the 21st, so my daughter will have to come back down to the house and live with my hubby and I in the camper (where we've been staying since June 14!) until we get moved. She has been living with her older sister not too far away. We will be a little crowded, but hopefully will be moving in september so it shouldn't be very long.

Janet

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Enjoyed your pictures, could tell you had put allot of love and creativity into everything. Best wishes to you in your new home, and I will look forward to new posts of you as you create things for it. Luvs

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor