Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandaceshirley

brace grafting

kandaceshirley
10 years ago

Has anyone tried this? Where I live its fairly windy and regardless of how much I thin the fruit trees (especially the peach trees) the wind always seems to get the better of at least 1-2 branches- in some cases the entire tree. So I was going to attempt brace grafting on my already established trees. On my younger peach trees, I was thinking about planting them closer together (within 5 feet) and grafting the branches to each other. Generally I'd plant three trees in a group and graft the branches from the trees to develop a stronger support. Has anyone tried this? Any recommendations on how to proceed?

http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/pruning/a/fruit-trees-brace-grafting.htm

Comments (9)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

I used to live in a very windy area, Amarillo Texas. I very seldom had a tree break a branch. So my thinking is you aren't thinning enough. You may think you are but you aren't.

My neighbor's and friends had broken trees due both to not thinning and not building a strong tree. The later could be part of your issue. I just don't think grafting is the way to go.

If your trees are blowing over then they need a strong stake or T post to support the trunk. After that build a strong tree with wide branch angles and thin enough.

• kandaceshirley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I probably do need to thin more but that's not the only issue- We regularly have wind gusts over 60 mph- average is around 15- its the 60+ gusts, especially when they are out of the east (generally they're from the south or north- the stronger storms blow from the east to the west) that are an issue- the trees are thinned and strong enough until we get those higher gusts blowing east to west- I'm not very far from the Missouri River next to the loess hills so there are a lot of strong storms- all the other trees (apple, apricot, cherry, plum, etc) hold up well during the storms- the peach trees are the only ones that don't do as well - also they're not sheltered from the winds blowing from the east- my alley runs east-west and I'm at the eastern edge of town so there are no buildings or other structures for miles blocking the wind speed when it blows from the east

This post was edited by kandituft on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 12:49

10 years ago

Any chance a windbreak would fit and not look too bad. Trees if you have room or shade cloth. I've used 30% woven black polypropylene as a wind break. It will cut the wind force in half.

• kandaceshirley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

trees would be iffy- there's a black walnut nearby (to the south) that affects what can be successfully planted nearby which is part of why I was considering the group of braced peach trees- I've tried making a windbreak of rugosas, honeysuckle, wisteria, westerland (rose), and autumn sunset (rose) but they're not tall enough - how are you using the polypropylene? did you put it up like a wall on the side you were attempting to block or all the way over the trees?

This post was edited by kandituft on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 15:13

10 years ago

Yes, I've used the shade cloth like a wall. There are other kinds and colors but the polypropylene is very tough and lasts many years. 40-50% shade might be even better.

• kandaceshirley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i might have to try using it like a wall- as long as its durable and flexible enough to take the wind gusts that should do the trick

10 years ago

Strength? Yes! 30 yr old material as hail netting.

{{gwi:124987}}

Here as hail, bird, and wind screening.

{{gwi:114290}}

Both are strung over single wires and it doesn't wear through via wind rubbing.

• mes111
    10 years ago

Fruitnut:

What exactly is that material around the grape enclosure (specs)? Is it the same as the hail net?

Did you sew it together?

Also.. What size is your greenhouse?.

Thanx
    Mike

10 years ago

Mike it's all the same stuff. You can see the sown on edging and grommets. It's all 30% black woven polypropylene shade fabric sold at many outlets.

My greenhouse is 32 x 54 x 16ft tall. If I built it again it would be 2-3 ft shorter. I have had this same type hail netting over the greenhouse for cooling and hail. But just recovered with woven poly that will resist the hail.