Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cotterm_gw

bag drops off...should I be concerned with Toro?

cotterm
14 years ago

I have stated that I am needing to buy a mower this weekend and thought I had decided on a Toro, 20333, or 20092. I borrowed the neighbor's 20017 and it cut well as a bagger but the bag fell off a lot. It seems that they all have the same attachment procedure. At least 12 times it fell off and the lot is on .2-.25 acre. I am second guessing now because my 12 year old son will be using the mower and the thought of the bagger falling off (right side) and an object potentially being thrown out toward him (other than grass) is very discomforting. I will be mulching mostly (if it does good job, but also bagging occasionally.

Comments (15)

• roadbike
    14 years ago

There is a problem, however it is not with the design of the mower bag.
    1. A part on the mower or bag could be broken. If so your neighbor should get it fixed before anyone uses it again. If this is the problem I'm amazed he let a friend use such a dangerous machine.
    2. The person using the mower does not know how to secure the bag. On my Toro part of the bag assembly fits over a peg, which in combination with the spring loaded catch holds the bag assembly firmly in place.

• tomplum
    14 years ago

I've successfully made a slight detent in the attaching bracket on these to help retain them. When it comes to the steel deck models- it does seem to happen on some more than others. The newer bagger was revised a tad, but I'm not sure for the better.

• tarheelman
    14 years ago

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that Toro was having a problem with the bagging system on the original ('05-'07) SR4 Super Recyclers. They redesigned the bagging system for '08 and newer models, which fixed the problem. However, I don't know if the Recycler units were having the same issue.

• cotterm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

okay, I found the sr4 (20092)yesterday and was finally able to see it in person. The way it attaches is definitely different than the neighbors 20017. It has pegs that sit in grooves where the previous model had shallow hooks that dropped over a bar. I think it will be okay. I just bought it but have not yet gassed or oiled her up. Probably later today. I still have a bit of a feeling that i should have spent the extra money for the Honda, but hope to get over that really soon. Once gas or oil goes in, she is mine for keeps! Last two mowers were snappers and hope this one turns out to be great. Thanks for the comments.

• tarheelman
    14 years ago

cotterm:

Great choice! I'm sure you'll be pleased with it the first time you use it.

BTW, did you get the $30 discount on it? If not, go back to the dealer and ask for it.

• cotterm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

they didnt say anything about the instant rebate, but I did get it for $529. All of their Toro's were priced $30 or so below list.

• tarheelman
    14 years ago

MSRP is $559 so, unless they regularly price their mowers under MSRP, you got the discount.

Keep us posted on how you like it after you've used it.

• HU-688438874
    4 years ago

Bag falls off because top connecting bar compresses in the middle area where the handle loop is. Drive a wedge in the

narrow space to spread it out. Better yet force a short hollow fitting in to prevent flexing,

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago

Must be a faulty frame assembly , have owned four Toro,s never had a bag issue .

• tomplum
    4 years ago

So if we re titled this to read " My old bag fell off my Harley, should I be concerned?" I think we'd get more interest.....

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago

I believe you would receive more attention than interest ifin She heard you called her that Tom ! :) .

• tomplum
    4 years ago

Well, son. Mama got on the throttle a little hard on her Skirtster and....

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago

Bahaha !

• Chuck French
    9 months ago

Bag still falling off. The main bar is too short. Looking to see if I can bend sides in a little, but looks like it might introduce more problems. Starts & runs fine with Kohler engine. Wish it was Brigs as I have more Brigs parts hanging around ;~)