Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tejasladybug

First Concrete Leaf Castings

Carol Patterson
15 years ago

Well,y'all made me do it. After seeing a birdbath made of a concrete leaf, I've been researching the best way to make them. Then I found this forum and took the plunge. I started a little late in the season for good leaves, so I have to take what I can get. There were a few leaves that didn't make it, but I think I have the technique down now.

Image link:

Comments (12)

• sunnydae
    15 years ago

They came out lovely.. I made one out of a huge sunflower leaf a few years ago. I should have painted it, as it gets really cruddy from the rainwater.. Maybe next year if I have more time.. Keep up the good work.

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

I am new and do not know HOW ON EARTH you made those amazingly beautiful leaves?

• justlinda
    15 years ago

Verrrrrry nice!

• leveta
    15 years ago

They really look great. You done a good job...

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Wow!! Looks more like you went to cermaics class. Those are concrete!! Very impressive! (pun intended!!LOL)Great work!! You should be very proud of yourself!! Jan

• elephantear
    15 years ago

cedarstick, great job on your first leaves!
    susie also cedarstick if you go to the Hypertufa forum and do a search you will find lots of information on making concrete leaves,for some reason this forum is very quite at this time where it used to be very active-don't know what happened? but lots of good stuff still available by doing a search-don't use the hypertufa recipes, the concrete recipe I use(1 part cement, 3 parts sand)gives a much smoother leaf, I've been making leaves for 3 years.
    Enjoy it's Lots of Fun! Wendy
    ps: use gloves and mask for handling cement.

• organic_flutterby
    15 years ago

Wow, if those are your first, can't wait to see the next ones! Good job

What kinds of leaves are these and how big are they?

whatcha gonna do with them?

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• Carol Patterson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Regarding the kinds of leaves, the red one is a Caladium w/Lily Pads; the long one is a Canna; the big one is Mulberry leaves; the last one is wild Mustang Grape Leaves. Most of them are large enough for bird baths or feeders. I'll use them for Christmas gifts or maybe even sell some. I just finished my 2 Elephant Ears today. I painted them to look like verdigris bronze & copper.

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

cedarstick - I'd like to be on your Christmas list! Great work...especially for your first ones!! Thanks for sharing. Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!
    kathy

• jlily
    15 years ago

A beautiful job. Only mother nature does any better!JLily

• tami58
    15 years ago

OMG, these are just beautiful! I'm going to have to check out the site for instructions on making some of these. I was looking at something similar to hang on my patio privacy fence for next year. These are ust the thing. And they will have so much more meaning because they came from my own garden. Oooo, I can't wait to get started!