Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlieboring

Angel Red Pomagranite

Charlie
10 years ago

Saturday I continued my advance toward edible landscape in spite of my wife's continuous resistance. I removed three old azalea bushes on the south side of my house and in their place I planted an angel red pomagranite. I had already removed an evergreen bush across the walk from it and planted a Russian Pomegranite. So now I have two pomagranites, if they survive the winter. I also removed three of four box hedge bushes that were aging and starting to deteriorate. My next step will be the removal of a dogwood tree (I hate to do this, but it is in the wrong spot.) growing too close to the house on the south side and planting a blackberry bush in its place. I planted two blackberries (Apache and natchez) in pots and placed them in an unheated shed until I can transplant them. I hope they live. I still have to prepare the soil for my second backberry. I also wrapped the lowerparts of my fuzzy kiwi vines in the hope that they will survive the winter. Last, I mulched around by artichokes with shredded leaves to protech their roots during the winter. In the spring we will see if any of these precautions worked.

This post was edited by CharlieBoring on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 9:42

Comments (2)

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

You removed Acid loving plants, you may want add some lime for plants that are not acid loving. Close to house foundation concrete raise ph so will concrete walk way.

• northwoodswis4
    10 years ago

My dad in the north central valley of California has pomegranates. They like it hot and dry. Due to health issues, his two trees were hardly watered all summer,even in 117 degree heat. They loved it. Angel Red was recently recommended by a commercial grower as a good one with tiny seeds that are edible, as opposed to the big woody seeds that are in my dad's older variety requiring one to spit them out as you eat them. My sister made great pancake syrup from them by just briefly pulsing them in a food processor and then straining them to get out the seeds, but it was a very time-consuming project.
    Northwoodswis