Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jokullsmum

Please help me identify these poor plants....

jokullsmum
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I am a new member and this is a plea for help as i know absolutely nothing about plants but in an attempt to brighten up our dark but warm flat, the mother in law (who is icelandic and cannot speak a word of english) very kindly gave me 5 plants and a tree. Ive had them a few weeks now and they are doing a beautiful job, but because i dont know what they are called (she has told me the "icelandic" names but cannot remember them) i fear i may not be looking after them properly as they look a bit depressed (for lack of a better word)

Anyway any help, tips, advice or just literally naming them for me would be greatly appreciated ..... and you could save a plants life ;)

Kindest regards

Ps. It looks i may have to send the photos as seperate posts. I apologise in advance for so many :)

Comments (17)

• jokullsmum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is plant no. 2 :)

• jokullsmum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant no.3 :)

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

First one looks like Aglaonema (Chinese evergreen). 2nd one is Caladium (elephant's ear). Third one looks like Z-Z plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia).

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

The second one is Syngonium podophyllum.
    Third is Kalanchoe.

• TulsaRose
    10 years ago

First one looks like a Spathiphyllum "Peace Lily" to me. Of course, I've been wrong in the past so wait for more opinions. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Spathiphyllum

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

I agree on Spathiphyllum.

This post was edited by carol23 on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 9:20

• jokullsmum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone :) heres some more coming up now. This is a great help because i can research how to Care for them properly on the internet once i know the exact names : plant no. 4:

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

4. Hoya

• jokullsmum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant no. 5 which I think is an Irish clover but it looks so sorry for itself I was hoping someone could tell me if its natural for it to look like this at this time of year or if there's something I need to do to perk him up a bit :)

• jokullsmum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally the tree. His leaves are dropping off all the time. Is this natural behaviour? Thanks again for your help :)

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

5. Oxalis
    6. Schefflera arboricola

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Welcome to GW!

If there is a joint (geniculum) on the petiole (leaf stem) of the first plant, it's Spathiphyllum. Aglaonema does not have this but the leaves are almost identical. I think I see a geniculum?

There are discussions about these plants on house plant forum (and cacti/succulents for Kalanchoes usually.) The info here should help you get started in the right direction in general.

Nice collection! Is there a moss/coir pole in the pot with #6 (Schefflera?)

• jokullsmum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi :) and thanks for the warm welcome. Not sure about geniculum to be honest so ive taken a close up. Maybe its detectable by the trained eye in this pic. But not sure because its night time now so poor lighting. Anyway let me know what you think :)

• jokullsmum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Re: schefflera ... I think so but heres a pic. Theres some kind of pole anyway (lol i really dont know anything) Do you think i should mist spray it aswell so it gets a bit more moisture? I will be sure to check the link you have sent me and learn something more about my little green babies and thanks again :)

10 years ago

Yes, Spathiphyllum it is. There's a line on each petiole (leaf stem.) That's the geniculum, a word I learned recently, so having tons of fun finding places to work it into conversation, as well as a handy way to differentiate certain plants. So my eye is far from trained. Does this help you spot them?

10 years ago

Here's Aglaonema modestum to compare. Nothing on the petiole.

9 years ago

Why are pics disappearing? This is the 2nd one I've found by google search for images. Clicked in here to check out the discussion again, but the pic that led me here from the google search is missing.

Edit: Sorry, thought I was in the house plant forum...

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Sat, Oct 25, 14 at 11:20