Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbishop_gw

New bare root fruit trees arrived !! - Pics included

pbishop
15 years ago

Here's a link to the trees I ordered from Stark Bros. There are 2 apples (Granny Smith and Enterprise)and a Redhaven peach.

They appear to be healthy and arrived in a box wrapped in plastic with moist newspaper to keep them from drying out. I misted them so they should be okay until Saturday.

There all about about 4.5 feet.

What do you think about the roots on the Redhaven ? The apples both have more roots although the Redhaven are thicker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27594491@N04/?saved=1

Comments (5)

• jellyman
    15 years ago

Pbishop:

I looked at your photos, and those root systems look ok to me. Peach roots always look different from apple roots. Over the years, I have planted more than 100 different bareroot trees here, with all kinds of different looking root systems, some very sparse with only a single root or two, and have never lost a single tree. However, I do think it is better to plant peaches and other stone fruits in spring rather than fall, and that is the rule I have always followed.

However, it is vitally important that those root systems not be allowed to dry out. It would make me nervous even having them out of their packaging for photographic purposes. I always had bareroot trees in the ground and watered in within 24 hours of their arrival. If that's not possible, they should be kept in a cold place in their original packaging.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• myk1
    15 years ago

It's been forever since I've planted an apple (which were from Starks).
    Unless I'm mixing it up with cherries (which I have planted more recently) my bare roots have always looked more like the Redhaven.

I'm pretty impressed the all the fine feeder roots on the apples. Especially the Enterprise, I've had potted trees bought locally that looked worse.
    With people complaining about Stark I was getting worried about my spring shipment. I'm not worried any more.
    Although I'm like Jellyman in that I've never lost a tree to anything I could blame on being bare root I just like seeing feeder roots.

Are the apples dwarf or semi-dwarf?

• pbishop
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The apples are dwarf and the redhaven is standard.

• myk1
    15 years ago

Thanks, the reason I asked is because the Stark dwarfs I got have a dwarfing interstem, the semi-dwarf's graft is right at ground level so I was hoping the noticeable graft on yours being so high was that they still used the interstem system.
    Judging from those pictures and them being dwarfs they do.

• theaceofspades
    15 years ago

I've gotten three Illinois Ever bearing potted mulberries, a Black Gold cherry, an Ozark Premier plum from Starks this fall and all the roots were like those in the photos. A few Starks trees planted from last spring all grew very good.