Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

Winter is vaguely here

meldy_nva
12 years ago

I know the calendar says it's January, a third of which is completed. Virginia may be considered Southern, but I'm in the northern section and winter usually comes around December. You know winter: snow and ice and frigid temperatures; the heavy jacket with gloves in the pocket displaces the unlined windbreaker and boots come out of storage; puddles and potholes have frozen surfaces and drivers are reminded to watch for black ice masquerading as shadows; the drink in hand changes from iced tea to hot chocolate, and baking all day makes the kitchen cozy instead of stifling. So far we've had a dozen snowflakes float by [that was in early December], and two ~that's t.w.o.~ nights have had temperatures below 32. This is winter?!

Right now I'm looking out the window and snow is falling so heavily I can't see across the street. The thermometer is declaring a temperature of 39 outside. I don't think winter has come.

Comments (10)

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

37*F here. No snow but the air feels like snow. Steve in Baltimore County.

• jazmynsmom
    12 years ago

I saw motorcycles on the road today. I just got back from spending over an hour at the dog park without a hat or gloves (it was 44*). I also saw a bald eagle on the way out of my subdivision. I spoke to someone else who saw one on Madison's west side earlier today. They must be here because of all the open water. Up until mid-December, I was still seeing Sandhill Cranes. I saw thousands of geese and ducks today.

I was in North Dakota for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and it was the same way there. I hunted in shirtsleeves once over Thanksgiving. I haven't used a snow shovel even once this winter. Very weird for Wisconsin.

I'm pretty sure it's all because I spent the big bucks on fancy snow tires for my MINI this winter! ;o)

• lilosophie
    12 years ago

Winter here means the rainy season, we had some very good rain early October, actually much earlier than usual and the pond filled and the CalFire canceled the burn-ban really early.
    Since then we had sunshine and mild daytime temperatures for most November, all December and up until now.
    Occasionally there is a day of scattered showers.
    Pond has dropped quite a bit, the pastures are turning brown. Nights have been getting cold, the clear, dry skies cause the warm air to rise until we are sitting in a frost-drain, it can get into the low twenties most of the time and into the sixties in the afternoons - hard on the body, today it his 70 on my deck after 20 in the morning.
    No snow in the Sierras, the Ski resorts are dying, they make some snow, but it's not the same.
    If you look at the poem I posted, you can see the prediction - Winter will come in March, the Easter bunny will have to get his sled ready and harness up some chickens to pull it.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

lilo, I'm worried about floods if the rains come down in March. Hitch your chickens and head down to the store and buy some "Cadbury Creme Eggs" for Easter.

• lilosophie
    12 years ago

WG, flood is not a problem in my immediate environment, there is a lot of drainage, power outages are a concern, and because our water comes from a well via an electric pump, it can be a problem. I keep several bottles of water for drinking in the pantry, run-off from the roof provides water for washing up and washing dishes, if one adds a bit of household bleach to sanitize it, and unsanitized it can flush the toilet once a day or so.
    Shower? well the animals don't care, they think I am too obsessed with bathing anyway.
    I cook with propane, so the top burners are ok, and I have a nice grill on the deck, wood-stove keeps me warm. Longest we ever went was 6 days - we ate well, because freezer defrosted a lot of nice meat - the animals ate just as well.
    Communication would be a problem, I'd miss my computer :(

• User
    12 years ago

Highs in the 70s and 80s the last couple weeks, lows in the 40s and 50s.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

C'mon down! Your cold weather is here in Middle Tennesssee! Some of the time we're above normal, but we've had way more days below 27 already than we had all winter last year. How do I know? My car's heater is broken. Which is ok since we're only in the car for 10-20 minutes a day (we live 3 or 4 miles from work/school)... but when it's below 27 the inside of the car windows have to be scraped. It's hassle to first scrape the outside and then again on the inside. OY!

You can have your winter back now, I'm finished with it.

• calliope
    12 years ago

We are just alternating from one season to the next every couple of days. Could be teens on Monday and sixty by Thursday. Feeling very blessed the precip is hitting in the warm spells. Other than a good insulator for the perennials, snow is highly over rated. LOL.

My big old brick house is like a heat sink. If the frigid weather lasts for protratced periods, the house becomes an ice box. It takes days of a warm spell to warm the walls back up. If it moderates every couple of days, the triple course bricks neither heat up or cool down because of the air pocket between them.

Bees were out of their tree day before yesterday as it hit sixty. Supposed to be down to 14 later this week, then back up again.

• meldy_nva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

By the time I left the library on Monday (shortly after posting), the snow was falling so thickly that visibility was about 50 feet. Driving with exceeding care, I llistened to the radio's weatherman still commenting that this area would have only the occasional and momentary flurry without accumulation. I pulled into the driveway observing that snow was sticking everywhere, just being slick slush on the streets. By evening we had 1 1/2 inches of flurry, and I was so happy to not be driving in it.

Tuesday was 52* by noon, yesterday hung in the upper 40's and rained (1.8"). Today is blue skies, bright sun, in the 50's and rising. Weathermen are cheerfully predicting highs in the very low 30's for the next few days. The spring bulbs are all showing leaves and buds, the clematis all have fat leaf-buds, the forsythia is about to bloom, the johnny-jump-ups [violas] *are* in bloom ~~ pretty soon the grass will need to be mowed!

I'm trying to remember where I read that article about the guy co-relating Baltic snowfall with DC's weather. At the time I read that he was saying to expect to a milder-than usual winter until late January and then February would be ~swoosh/shiver~ colder than normal with extremes of precipitation. So far he's right; we shall see.

Meanwhile, I'll have the mower's blades sharpened, and the snow shovel oiled and ready for use.

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

Winter got here yesterday, until then we had just a couple of days were it was below 32 degr. early in the day. We had some snow since yesterday at noon, that's not the winter part, right now it is 18 degr, windchill 2 degr and the wind is still not letting up.
    I am glad that we got back home yesterday afternoon on account of the water pipes. When we left it was warm and I had the heater turned down on Sunday.