Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheila_gw

French Toast

sheila
15 years ago

Jim Beam and French Toast? I was in the state liquor store this evening and there was a woman asking advice about which whiskey to use for French Toast. She was sorting through those little miniatures. Anyway, she finally seized a little Jim Beam bottle. She said that's what she'd used the last time she made French Toast.

Now I don't make French Toast, although I have been known to eat it, and Jim Beam is the last thing I would have thought to be an ingredient. If I were going to add liquor I might go for brandy. You know...French = cognac?

So now I want to know. Is French Toast meant to include alcohol?

Comments (14)

• calliope
    15 years ago

Yes, m'dear. French toast may be served with a hard sauce, like bread puddings, or plum puddings. Never had it that way, but sounds........uhm......interesting.

• kris_zone6
    15 years ago

I had a recipe that called for Grand Marnier in the egg mixture. You let the franch bread soak allnight and it was delicious.

• kris_zone6
    15 years ago

I should have used spell check.

• Josh
    15 years ago

You and Rags decided not to go vagabonding after all? Nice to see you posting more often. As to French Toast, it's a favorite but never thought of lacing it with liquor. The Grand Marnier sounds good or maybe just a dash of orange extract added to the egg/milk mixture. josh

• mwoods
    15 years ago

Sure you can use liquor when making French toast. When I make it,which isn't that often,I always use a tablespoon of rum,as did my mother. You just dip the bread slices in egg,a little milk or cream and rum. If you want a special treat,throw raisins on top. They serve this a lot in the Caribbean.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

O-K! There is even a recipe for it Sheila. I am amazed. I would say I am interested to try it, but not enough to pay hard caseh for the liquor. I have been known to make extra fluffy light pancakes with beer, but that is a common bread making addition because of the yeasty quality it has. I didn't come up with that.

I bet they serve everything with rum in the Carribean! I remember classmates coming back from a school trip there and their awe how one was allowed to buy rum, as long as they could see over the counter. That was it, a height restriction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim Beam French Toast recipe

• andie_rathbone
    15 years ago

Interesting that you have to say that you're 21 just to enter their site, which makes me laugh because does that prove anything or is it just something their lawyers said they needed to do?

Anyway, that recipe, I think could be jerryrigged to DH's method of making baked French toast which I really like. Baking the toast instead of frying it gives it a little crusty texture which is really good (and provides more little crevices for the syrup to seep into). No Jim Bean here as DH thinks that's really sub-standard Bourbon, but I'm sure it would be just as good using Maker's Mark.

• mwoods
    15 years ago

I Googled rum french toast and there were a lot of recipes so guess it's pretty common. When I browse cooking magazines,it usually is just Cooks Illustrated because of all the info they give on the history of foods etc. along with the recipes. Look at this one. Yummo as Rachael would say.

Here is a link that might be useful: pecan rum frenchtoast

• sheila
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going with rum as the alcohol. Marda, that recipe sounds wonderful. I might make it, except my Weight Watcher weight loss sits at 15 lbs as of this morning and I'd like to keep it going down:) Perhaps I could double the rum ingredient and leave out the rest?

Josh, no, Rags and I did not go a vagabonding:) The weather turned bitterly cold and so we will put off our adventure until another day.

• mwoods
    15 years ago

Sheila..if that's the way you make French toast,let me come and sit by you. What an easy recipe! Reminds me of a joke for some reason. An elderly lady goes into a bar and asks for a shot of whisky and a glass of water. The bartender gives it to her and she immediately glugs them both down. Then she orders 2 shots of whisky and half glass of water. The bartender says.." maam,are you sure you should be drinking all that?" She looks at him and says " Sonny,I can handle the whisky just fine,it's the water I can't hold."

• maryanne_nc
    15 years ago

And here I thought this thread was going to be someone talking about being snowed in...(like I was last week!).

Sheila...congrats on the weight loss! Remember what they teach you at WW...it's a lifestyle change! So, look at the recipe and convert it to lower cal substitutes. Fake brown sugar (the Splenda type) instead of brown sugar, fat free half-n-half instead of whole milk, egg substitute instead of egg yolks, low cal/high fiber bread, etc. It may not be the "real" thing, but I'll bet that if you really wanted it, you could get the recipe down to something within your range. YOU GO GIRL!

Personally, I'd eat a handful of pecans and wash them down with some rum. After that, I wouldn't care about the rest of the ingredients!

• sheila
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Maryanne, now there you go. Pecans and rum!

Actually, I'm not that fond of french toast . It's actually too sweet for me. I didn't gain weight because I have a sweet tooth - I have a carb tooth.

I have never used half and half - I drink coffee black, I eat only whole wheat organic bread, very high in fiber actually. I have never thought you needed to give up good food to lose weight, only eat a lot less of it and make better choices. And I'm doing my best to do that. I eat a lot more chicken and fish, lots more fresh vegetables and so on. And the cork stays in the wine bottle:)

Thanks for the encouraging words, Maryanne. Nice to hear from you.

• anneliese_32
    15 years ago

All of those suggestions would just hit the spot this morning. Instead I have to sit here and shovel a green salad and a couple of cold turkey slices. Grumble, grumble, grumble. My blood sugar is up.

• sheila
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good story, Marda! :)

Sponsored
More Discussions