Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mowrjunkie

John Deere SB 14 locking up!

mowrjunkie
15 years ago

Hello, this is my first message, after lurking here a year or two. I went to start up my JD SB14, which had no problems last time I used it. When I pulled the rope to start it, there was a lot of resistance, all I felt was a lot of drag. It got tighter on the second and third pull, where I quit. I went to turn the blade by hand, same story! I'm kind of puzzled that a couple of days ago, it worked great, and now this! First thing that came to my mind, is that the blade clutch did not disengage. Does anyone know how I can test this, or what else this could be? Thanks for all the good information I've gotten from this site the last couple of years!

Comments (11)

• tomplum
    15 years ago

You could remove the spark plug, ground the lead and see if it turns then. If no change and the drive isn't trying to turn -then it point to the clutch. I assume that you looked for debris packed up underneath.

• mowrjunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, thanks, I'm off to try that. I did check under the deck already. -Ron

• mowrjunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I took the spark plug out, it was still not possible to pull the starter rope. I took the recoil off, and that worked fine, except one of the starter dogs was broken, leaving only one to deploy, I don't think that's the problem, though. I'll try using another recoil tomorrow, and see if that's it.

• mattv21
    15 years ago

It seems to me you have two big-picture possibilities here: either the clutch assembly is somehow frozen or the engine itself is locked up. I would think your best diagnostic move at this point is to remove the blade and clutch assembly to see if the engine is then free. If it is, then you know it's the clutch assembly; if not then you know the engine is seized. If the latter, you'll most likely have a seized bearing and you'll need to decide whether to dive in and try to fix it vs replacing the engine vs replacing the mower. If the former, you have the same choices regarding the clutch. The recoil starter assembly is not going to be your problem or solution if you can't turn the engine by the blade!

• mowrjunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I appreciate your input! I can turn the blade, so the engine is not seized. But I could not turn it with the starter rope, before I took the recoil assembly off. I don't know much about these blade clutch assemblies. I have another SB14, I'm going to try that recoil on the engine, although, like you, I doubt that is my problem. I couldn't get to it today, I'll shoot for tomorrow!

• mattv21
    15 years ago

Did you get to try the other recoil starter? I am puzzled by your being able to turn the engine easily enough by the blade but not by the starter rope. If you took the old starter assembly off already, was it spinning freely after being off the engine? Maybe it really is bound up or seized somehow. Let us know what you find.

• mowrjunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I did use another recoil, actually 2 others (I have a total of 3 FC150V Kawi engines on hand) and it was the same result. I was mistaken, about having a broken dog, that's just the design of these recoils, only one plastic dog deploys when the rope is pulled. Anyway, it is practically impossible to pull the start rope, I feel like I'm going to break something if I pull any harder! I can turn the blade, but there is a heavy drag on it, a steady drag, not like the way it feels when you have compression, then release, and again, etc. That is with, and without the spark plug. I am stumped, although I have not had the time to try to remove the blade and clutch yet. Thanks to all for helping me out!

• mattv21
    15 years ago

Well it sounds like you're back to either the BBC assembly causing problems or a seized bearing. I had a Robin EH18V recently spin a bearing while running, and it had the same kind of serious drag when trying to turn it by the blade and not being able to turn with the starter unit. My guess is that your engine is shot, or at least needs surgery to replace a main bearing.

• mowrjunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everybody, my internet service was down a few days, thanks for your advice! I really haven't messed with it, I'll try to clean all the dirt/grass build up, and test the blade clutch somehow. The seized engine is possible ( I actually bought this mower primarily for its working transmission, which I will put on my "nice" 14SB! ). It just seems strange, because it was starting and running pretty well just a day or two before that. If I am reasonably sure that the engine is gone, I'll start parting it out. If anyone has any troubleshooting advice here, I'm listening!

• TODD HAAG
    last year

start it with the blade clutch on. it will work...

• HU-664335883
    last year

I have a similar problem to the original poster. I had the center bolt snap, took it to the john deere place to get it drilled out. They installed a brand new BBC, said it worked at the shop but on getting it home, the pull starter wouldn't pull at all. Took the starter off, but it was not the problem. The blades would rotate by hand, but very difficult. I tried engaging the blades & then starting it. The mower started instantly, however it started smoking like mad (with white smoke).

Does the BBC need to be compressed? I noticed the spring was not compressed.