Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Saint Martin

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

The Caribbean island is unusual in that it is French on the northern part and Dutch on the southern part. No other island in the Caribbean is split like that.

Sint Maarten is the official Dutch name, with its primary city of Philipsburg. Saint-Martin is the official French name, with its primary city of Marigot.

A group of us from Cruise Critic had arranged for a snorkeling adventure as a private excursion. We met our coordinator at Great Bay, a short walk from where the ship was docked.

Comments (11)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a good view of the Marina at Great Bay.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have no idea if this is a charter boat or one that someone lives on. I included it here because I just like the shot!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is our craft. Those toward the front did not get the ocean spray, but had an extremely bumpy ride. I sat in the rear corner (blue towel on the left side); not as bumpy, but I got wet. Because of that, I did not take any pictures as we moved along.

We went about half way around the island in the open waters and stopped three times for fun in the water. Equipment was supplied as were beverages. Since we had all met each other online and on the ship, it was not a group of strangers and not interacting.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just located another picture of our starting point, Great Bay.

There are many shops and restaurants on Great Bay and it is a short walk from the ship's pier. We have done that before. We also took a ship's excursion where we took an America's Cup Challenge. With enough participants, two racing ships took to a course in a competition, with eager guests taking an active part in some of the 'work' on the sailing craft. It was a great day. Another time, we rented a jeep and drove around the island without a plan! That was fun, too!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A closer view of that red boat on Great Bay, obviously a party boat.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Why isn't anyone diving off the party boat? kidding!

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

Looks like interesting and fun excursions are your reason for cruising. Makes for good memories and great photos.
    Some cruisers I know go for shopping and food,it always struck me as limited.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Good pictures. I would have liked the race challenge. My dream has been a sailing ship cruise but it never happened.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The are some cruisers who book their cruise specifically to go to the beach (and not much else)!

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Jim, I enjoy your travel posts.
    Especially the one about snorkeling . I love snorkeling.
    IMO, the craft you are in, seems to be a motor boat, and it would scare the fishes away. I'd nix that excursion.
    Re the clothing optional beaches, I'm from scandenavia and I've been to plenty of nude beaches and I think it's ok.''
    It has been fun to travel with you.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We will be leaving the Caribbean and begin our crossing of the Atlantic. All new places coming up. I won't bore you with too much of the ship routine during the crossing, but once we get across the pond, we'll be busy, busy, busy.

I have my outline here on the desk. I figure that I can continue this narrative through the rest of summer!