Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

Ponds is a piker!!

sleeplessinftwayne
18 years ago

I've noticed several posts in the past mentioning the size and speed of the ponds forum. I think I may have mentioned it myself. I just spent some time lurking on the roses forums and they make our ponds and aquatic plants forum look absolutely puny!! It might intrest some of you to know many of the same concerns are being discussed there as are being discussed here. Sandy

Comments (17)

• youreit
    18 years ago

Yeah, Ponds is the place to be and be seen! Movers and shakers...the "in" crowd...rockin and rollin. :D

I think it's success comes not only from the wealth of information shared here, but also from the small group of folks (ok, maybe just one "folk"...LOL) who don't don't follow the mainstream way of thinking when it comes to pond care, questioning advice given only because personal experience has proven otherwise. Cryptic? Only to those who don't know about whom I speak. :D

In other words, rebels rock (but they don't rock the bottom of their ponds LOL).

Brenda

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

"Cryptic? Only to those who don't know about whom I speak."

Fairy_Toadmother??? :-)

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

ha, ya flatter me, sir fi...i have someone else in mind.

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

"i have someone else in mind."

I was just joshing FTM... I know you were both actually thinking about GRAND MAstermind Poo3 ! :-)

• youreit
    18 years ago

LOL You two. Ok, I really meant Webfeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet (which I'm sure you already knew!). But being cryptic can make others feel left out, so I shall reveal all from now on. Er....

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

????Talk about a hijack!!!!

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

ok, back tot he topic. what's a piker, sandy? :)

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

"????Talk about a hijack!!!!"

I apologize for hijacking your thread Ms. Sandy but I was under the impression that this was the Conversations Forum and any (fun or at least noncontroversial) topic would be better than no conversation at all... which perhaps goes back to the "size" issue you had referred to in your original post. :-)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Perhaps I should have made my amusement clearer. LOL or LMAO?? I didn't mean to sound like it was a complaint, I was just amazed that it went from Roses or size or reaction to iVillage to Webfeeet. As for conversation, I'd encourage it if I could but I am, as always, the consumate straight man. BTW, "In the midwest, 'piker' is slang for a slothful individual, a welcher (more slang), and historically, a representative expatriate of Pike County, Kentucky (or Pike County, Missouri, or Pike County, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Alabama ...)." " In Australia, "piker" is a common slang word for "someone who holds back", particularly, an individual who doesn't drink heavy."
    " one who does things in a small way; tightwad; quitter, coward (Webster's, 1934)."
    I take it to be someone or something that just isn't any fun at all. Bye. :( Sandy

• hnladue
    18 years ago

ok. I'm totally confused.... Where did we go from roses to iVillage to Webfeeet???? I don't see any conversation here about any of that. And as for the piker comment..... I guess it's not a compliment then huh? nice.

• youreit
    18 years ago

A rose is a rose is a rose...unless it's in a pond, then it's just mush. ;)

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    18 years ago

????????
    I would LMAO etc etc if I had any clue??? I got the reference to Webbie - but as for the rest?

Sleepless, I read many of the posts in conversation just because, that's what it is, conversation, between a bunch of people with varying degrees of attention deficit... skipping from topic to topic... like my in-laws... I guess that's why I feel so at home here? (And that includes when I have no clue what's going on).

And, if the posts piled up faster than they do here, I'm sure I couldn't keep up.
    And, I'm glad that we all are (well - at least, many of us are) normal enough that we have a life, and can't spend ALL our time on this forum! So! I like us being pikers!

:) Mary

• semper_fi
    18 years ago

Hey Sleepless: WAKE UP!!!

I was fixing to update our "office" pool and I still don't see YOUR name listed on the board. So lets get wit' it! :-)))

PS: Did you know that the first 4 letters of the last name of Pittsburgh's QB can spell 'ROSE'??! VERY FREAKY, I KNOW! :-)

• mamabear_on
    18 years ago

It is nice to know that after being away for almost a year and a half that that not much has changed here....LOL

Louise

• chickadeedeedee
    18 years ago

At the risk of being sent to Nappy's® room may I also point out Semper that that the first 4 letters of the last name of Pittsburgh's QB can spell 'SORE' too? Also: 'ORES' and 'ROES'.

ok...... TIME OUT for me! :-)

C3DDD

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

thanks for explaining "piker," sandy. i had never heard it before, needless to say :)

come back when you get some rest.

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

"A rose is a rose is a rose...unless it's in a pond, then it's just mush."

I found that comment so interesting, I had to go look and see if I had any "mushy roses" in my pond... never mind I have only ONE rose bush, and it's nowhere near any of my ponds...

Turns out, NO, I don't... but I certainly have plenty of dead, mushy eichornia crassipes leftover from the first freeze in late November, and all kinds of dead, mushy oak leaves, and parts from colocasia and musa basjoo and even hedychium coronaria, all of which I "slothfully" allowed to fall into my pond and turn to mush over the last couple of months...

So I reckon I'm a "piker," for sure :)

Guess I'm in the right place, huh?