Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersnhens

Pics of my Organic veggie garden,,AND my chickens and Dog.

flowersnhens
15 years ago

I thought I would share some pics of my newest gardens,,,The vegatable garden in the raised beds were planted May 22nd. All organic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers n Hens

Comments (8)

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

Lovely gardens, so green and thriving. What kind of chickens?

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI there,,the chickens are buff orpingtons, white leghorns, and I also have Rhose Island reds and Australorps,,but I don't believe they were included in the photos.

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

Your chickens are beautiful! I've been thinking about getting some, for eggs, but there are too many issues I can't figure out how to deal with. For instance, if you let them roam freely, how do you protect them from pets and wildlife? That's the main hitch for me, I guess. And what do you feed them in winter? (I'd want to keep their food organic.)

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi there,,well, the only time I have to worry about anything getting my chickens is at night, but they are closed up in there coops very securely so nothing can get in. I have 3 dogs and 2 big cats. None of them bother the chickens at all. It depends on your pets. Mine have been around them for about 6 or 7 years. You can also keep them penned up around their coop if you don't want them to free range. I do not feed them organically anymore due to the high prices of the feed. I buy regular chicken feed but I also give them watermelon, yogurt, peas, corn, black sunflower seeds, berries, scraps from the kitchen, etc.
    My chickens stay in the yard, they don't wander off into the woods or anything. They even stay out of the road. They dont travel like Guinea hens do. Guinea hens will travel up to 1/4 mile away from home. I lost all 10 of mine in one season. If you go on the "farmlife" forum, there are alot of people over there who own chickens and have good ideas.

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

Thanks. That's really interesting to me that your pets don't bother them and the chickens don't wander into the woods. We live on 2 acres surrounded by trees which are the remnants of woods....

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, well they dont wander into the woods because they prefer to be on green grass where they scratch for bugs. My dogs are 2 female chocolate labs and a male pitbull who are very calm and Layed back. They are well trained and they know that those chickens are our pets too. One of my labs will chase them out of the vegetable garden for me if I tell her to, but she never actually tries to catch them, it is more just entertainment for her than anything.

• swjonthebay
    15 years ago

Beautiful gardens, flowersnhens! If you don't mind me asking a question WAY OT? DH and I are building a house and the ceiling in your kitchen caught my eye. What kind of wood is that? It's lovely. We have been thinking of v-groove pine and pickling it but now that I've seen yours...well, that may have to change!

• flowersnhens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI Swjonthebay: That is birch,,,but I actually wish I had gone with TEAK, because that is what we have put on all of our floors. It would have matched alot better with the floors. We have a supplier up here who is selling it for $3.99 a square foot. That is a great deal,,cuz usually exotic wood goes for atleast $7.50 per square foot. I love teak and was happy to find it at this price.