Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emalineisabear

I need some help with my orchid

emalineisabear
10 years ago

So, I got this back in February, as a gift. I knew nothing about them(and still don't really), but have been following all the directions on the tag. Originally, it was doing really well. I mean, it had this spot on it, but it didn't seem to be affecting it at all, and we were getting new flowers every week, if not more often. So things were going swimmingly. I assumed the spot was just cosmetic, maybe it had been dropped or something previously, but recently the spot has gotten bigger and darker. And now my orchid is dropping blooms like crazy.

Can anybody tell me whats going on, and if my orchid is doomed or not? I really like this plant, and I've been pretty heart broken over it's illness. Here's a picture:

{{gwi:176145}}

I do want to add that the plant does not get too much sunlight. The picture is deceiving. The plant sits in a bathroom window, with diffused light.

Comments (2)

• terrestrial_man
    10 years ago

you really need to look at the whole plant, especially the new growths. any problems with the new leaves? It looks like this is an older leaf and that it had been damaged. Perhaps it is reacting to that damage and just dying off. I would just cut it off at the base of the leaf.

• sweetcicely
    10 years ago

Ignoring the big spot for a moment, I have to say that you seem to have received your phalaenopsis at the beginning of its bloom. It is now June, and four months is a very good amount of time for your blooms to have lasted. It is normal for the spent flowers to drop (starting with the earliest) day by day in succession, at the end of the bloom cycle.

Did all of the flower buds bloom; or were there some buds left, when the others began to fall?

Now for the leaf with the spot: That is not the way that Phals generally shed a leaf. With my Phals natural leaf shed usually occurs after blooming is well over, and just before (or as) next year's spike appears. The bottom leaf (sometimes two) begins to fade in color, until it is eventually a dull pale orange or cream with a sort of shrively surface. The line (or suture) at the base of the leaf eventually loosens and allows the leaf to fall. I usually let this happen by itself.

The spot on your leaf looks a little like the result of sunburn--too much direct sunlight on one spot; however it could be something else. If the dredded spot is sunburn, there is no problem. If it is disease, it could spread.

Since you don't know whether it is burn or disease (if it were my plant) I would get it off of there as soon as possible, before leaf death reaches the crown of the plant (place from which the leaf came).

To remove the leaf, use sterile scissors/knife/razor blade (I use flame sterilization). Cut off the leaf through brighter green tissue below the dying part, and wash your hands afterwards. Dab just the cut with cinnamon to help seal the wound.

Orchid diseases are not a subject I know much about, but there are many on the forum with a lot of orchid growing experience, who may recognize your leaf spot and be able to help in that area.

Sorry to be so long with this. I hope your orchid survives and thrives!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths