Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerryinsocal

Frogs in lawn, need to fertilize.

jerryinsocal
14 years ago

We have a stream nearby the house and the Pacific Tree Frogs like to romp in our flower gardens and lawn. I have avoided using any fertilizers for fear of harming them, but now that we have been in this house for a year, the roses, the lawn and various other plants are in need of something to eat. I have not been able to find a feed store that carries cornmeal in the West Valley, but they do have what is called Laying Mash for chickens, which has at least a fair amount of corn meal mixed in with wheat and other grains, all ground up. My question is, will this work on the lawn? And the roses? I suppose there are some "organic" fertilizers at the nursery that may not harm the frogs, but I would like to have a recommendation by someone with experience. The little frogs squeeze themselves under potted plants outside, so I don't dare even put any fertilizer in those because they drain out through the holes in the bottom. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Comments (10)

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

That grain mix would work for the lawn. Depending on whether the grains are ground or not, you may get some sprouting, but they'll die when they're mowed, so I wouldn't worry about it.

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

If you could get a truck load of chicken manure I think your grass and plants would love it without endangering the froggies. For the frogs put a few old car tires out around the yard. The tires will catch rainwater and provide a natural habitat for mosquitoes. Your Pacific Tree Frogs will love it when the mosquitoes start hatching and buzzing around. The frogs will romp in and around the tires all the while feasting on organic mosquitoes.

• skoot_cat
    14 years ago

Alfalfa Pellets would be and excellent choice for everything you need to feed. Lawn, roses, landscape plants, palms, etc etc. Every feed store should carry them. The application rate is 20-30lbs per 1000sqft.

Side note for your Lawn: If you want a little more bang for your buck get Soybean Meal and apply it @ 10-20lbs per 1000sqft.

In addition to the above you could also spray molasses monthly (lightly diluted with warm water) at a rate of 4-6oz per gallon to cover 1000sqft. Liquid Seaweed is also excellent when used monthly. Both of these can be used on all your lawn and landscape plants.

• texas_weed
    14 years ago

Corn meal is not a very effective fertilizer because it has very low protein content and is used as a fungicide in organic lawns and gardens. Look for Soy Bean Meal, Cotton Seed Meal, or Alfalfa in that order of preference.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

Organic fertilizers are made from the same grains everyone is talking about here. In addition most of them add potassium sulfate. I'm not sure what effect the potassium sulfate would have on the frogs, so if you don't know but still want to fertilize, stick with pure grains and/or the chicken manure.

Tires are a commodity I don't think you are allowed to own in Calif. Why? Because mosquitoes breed in them. Still if you want to try a mosquito diet for the frogs, you could put out anything shallow that catches water.

I have used corn meal almost exclusively since 2002 and love it. Since I started using it my toad population has increased all the way up until we acquired 3 cats. I have not seen a toad since. As the cats age we're finally getting geckos back.

Where do you live in CA? Please be more specific than NoCal or SoCal. Calif has far too many zones that run from Mexico to Oregon, across all climates, for the zones to be meaningful.

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

I'm glad you guys have not lost your sense of humor.

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

"I'm glad you guys have not lost your sense of humor."

I must have lost mine because I missed that one.

• jerryinsocal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Seriously folks, the tires are a great idea. I told my wife and she suggested maybe I could also find an old bathtub or a rusty '36 Chevy to put out there as well. As for the grains, I was able to find soybean meal and alfalfa pellets which should take care of my needs quite nicely, thank you to all who responded. As for the frogs, I have decided to put in a small pond so they won't have to make that trek from the stream up to the house. They really don't need mosquitos since we have plenty of moths that come to the windows at night. The frogs climb up the glass with their suction cup feet and have a feast. Great entertainment to watch. Beats most of what's on TV.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

I would think frogs prefer moths to mosquitoes. They are a much more filling meal. They've found the 40 million bats that live near me eat moths and not mosquitoes.

I think (but am not sure) that the sense of humor goes back to rdaystroms skepticism about the value/performance of organic lawn care. He loves it when I bring up toads.

• davidandkasie
    14 years ago

you really don't want mosquitoes breeding around there. ever heard of a littel thign called West Nile? we have major outbreaks here each year, due to our large mosquito populations.

if the pacific frogs are anythign like the tree frogs here, you cna attract them to a certain area easily. i put up some dusk to dawn CFL lights 2 years ago. at night the tree frogs cover the walls around the lights, and eat their fill of bugs swarming around. during the day they go into the bushes right under the lights, i rarely see them anywhere else, but in the bushes they are thick as thieves.

organic fert is good for the lawn and won't hurt the frogs. if you go chemical fert, just make sure you water it in deeply immediately so it don't burn them. but from what i here cali is pretty hard on folks watering right now in certain areas.