Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimtnc

Lawn wackos in NC ,,,

jimtnc
15 years ago

Has anyone in NC had problems with their established grass (even if you reseeded) after those hurricane remnants came through dumping 5-8" of seawater? I've been growing my lawn with TTTF, kbg, and a little TTPR for the last 7-8 years with close to 10-12 really good varieties for this area with great results.

I've always had some burn-out after August and reseeded every fall, but this year was different. After all that rain came through (after I reseeded the first time-labor day) I began to notice bare soil spots mainly in the shaded areas (which this time of year are large areas because of tall trees and low sun angle), then larger bare soil areas. I wasn't sure what was causing it because I've never had that much of a loss before. I determined it to be one of two things: fungus and/or late infestation of grubs, so I treated for both. Well, where the sun didn't shine much I completely lost all the older grass...where the sun shone wasn't too bad. Ona good note, most of the seed I put down that didn't get washed away had been coming in and looking better until you stand right over the new grass and can see the soil (which I could not before).

Sorry for the long disertation, and I may be grasping at straws, but has anyone else experienced this this year. I'm wondering if all the salt water had an effect on the grass or I just got nailed with a fungus/grubs?

Comments (7)

• weigojmi
    15 years ago

Haven't noticed such a thing but I'm just north of Charlotte so didn't see nearly the rain you did.

• ncgreenthumb
    15 years ago

Jim,
    Nothing that I can put a finger on. I put down TTTF. I do think the grass has taken longer to get strong. The seed germinated in the 7-10 days however the grass seems more limp that in years past and I've done everything the same this year as year's past. I did just mow it for the first time last week so maybe the mowing will prompt the grass to strengthen. I'll give the grass another 2 weeks before I begin to worry though. The state fair is coming and that means cold weather. I do have the most beautiful collection of broadleaf weeds though. I need the grass to get strong before I can weed kill. Then I'll know where I need to fill in and hope the winter isn't as cold as the farmer's almanac has forecasted.

• jjfrisco
    15 years ago

A hurricane does not rain saltwater, so unless you are close enough to the water to get the storm surge, you should be fine.

I did actually google before I posted to be sure. I found a site that said that rain from a hurricane can taste salty up to a mile inland due to the rain mixing with the spray from waves. Some reporters (idiots standing by the shore in a hurricane) have reported raining salt water, which has contributed to the myth. Even if you were close enough to get some of the salt spray, 5-8" of freshwater rain should more than take care of the salt.

So, good news is no salt water damage. Bad news, looks like its something else.

• huisman98
    15 years ago

Jim,

I'm in North Raleigh and I aerated and overseeded last weekend with Pennington Fescue. This warm dry weather is killing me. It is going to be 87 degrees tomorrow....on OCT 14th! I need some cool wet weather or my poor fescue is doomed! I think I may wait until november to overseed next year. I did that 2 years ago and it worked out pretty well. Crazy NC weather! :-)

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input guys. Good news on the salt water thing jjfrisco. I wasn't sure, but I knew it couldn't be good for the lawn. I've experienced these hurricanes and remnants for along time now, and I've just never lost all my grass before...got me stumped unless it really was a late hit from grubs and/or a fungus attack.

huisman98 - just hang on a few days and keep moistening that soil...it'll be a different story come Saturday and beyond. Like the song says, "..a change gonna come...". LOL.

ncgreenthumb - watch that grass really close, especially if you have lots of shady areas. Not sure, but it should be too late now for grubs, so if you have any problems now it would more than likely be fungal related, and that stuff can wipe out a lawn pretty quick, so keep an eye on it.

• grannybumble
    15 years ago

I've got a stupid question...why is blue grass called "blue" grass
    Thanks

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Per Wiki..."It originally came from Kentucky and it has a blue tint to it." Also, check first pic on the left in this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poa

And, most questions are not stupid...just some answers.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting