Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weigojmi

NC peeps, a question.

weigojmi
15 years ago

What date are you guys applying your last does of nitrogen? Seems timing is pretty critical.

Comments (7)

• golf4food
    15 years ago

I always put down my last app. of fertilizer after Thanksgiving. That is normally the right time of year that top growth has stopped and you no longer have to mow. I try to fertilize the first week of October and then again after Thanksgiving. We had a fairly warm winter last year and my lawn remained green all winter long.

• jimtnc
    15 years ago

Yep, around turkey day. Some years it's a little warmer than others, so in that case I wait a few weeks until the cold settles in...usually in Dec most years. They (NCSU) are now recommending to only apply twice in the fall, and then another in mid Feb. Apparently, they've done some testing to indicate that would be a better schedule. Who knows??

• ncgreenthumb
    15 years ago

Between Thanksgiving and the first week of December. Depends on the weather during those weeks. I fert twice in the fall, the other being during the overseeding in late September.

• auteck
    15 years ago

You can use the following if in zone 7 NC:

1.- Labor Day Weekend (if overseeding, Starter Fert.)

1-B - If not overseeding, Oct. 1st or last weekend in Sept.

2.- Thanksgiving Day/weekend(24-2-13 or 13-2-13)

New Year

1.- Valentines Day (pre-emergent combination, usally 29-3-4)

2.- Tax Day (lower nitrogen like 13-2-13)

3.- July 4th (organic only if you must fertilize, Milorganite or similar)

That's 6 feedings per year (on the high side) but you can get rid of the summer feeding and Thanksgiving or Labor Day so you can stay within 4 feedings total.

KBG produces excessive thatch if overfertilized which leads to disease during the summer months. Fescue and Perennial Ryegrass can be fertilized 6 times a year with little to no
    consequenses.

Most lawns in NC are Fescue/Bluegrass, so I recommend the 4 feedings per year for optimal performance.

If you not overseeding, skip Labor Day weekend application and fertilize on Oct. 1st, then Thanksgiving Day.

I hope this helps.

Auteck

• weigojmi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good info, Auteck.

If I recall, NCSU advises to never fertilize after 3/15. Thoughts?

• jimtnc
    15 years ago

That's probably a wise idea, unless you want to throw out some Milorganite at different times. I did and got a fungus from too much fert, so I don't add anymore after mid-Feb.

• hazydavy58
    15 years ago

Glad I read this thread. I'm in Raleigh, NC, I fertilized in mid september just as the weather was starting to cool. I was thinking about fertilizing this weekend, but I think I'll hold off a bit. I tend to put down quite a bit of fertilizer(I use Espoma Organic) in the fall and don't fertilize at all in the spring. I had good results with that this year.