Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rutgers1_gw

Thoughts on this mixed synthetic/organic program?

rutgers1
16 years ago

My neighbor (the one I always seem to talk about on here) and I are obsessed with our lawns. It started with me and then spread over to him. In fact, I think he is getting worse than me lately, as I not only saw him mulch mowing his leaves yesterday, but then mulch mowing all nearby leaves in the street so that, in case they blew onto his property, they would be more likely to decompose and not smother his new KBG!

Anyway, for the past few years, he has had an organic landscaper taking care of his property with less than stellar results. They didn't do any overseeding, so all bare spots filled with weeds. In September, he completely renovated with KBG. As he plans for the first year with the new grass, I think that he will choose an organic/synthetic hybrid. I am thinking of doing the same thing. I typed up a sample plan for him today and gave it to his wife (who shook her head and told me that we were both crazy!). What do you think:

March 15: Scotts Step 1 (fertilizer with crabgrass control)

May 1: Scotts Organic Choice Lawn Food (spot spray weeds "as necessary")

Sept 1: Scotts Organic Choice Lawn Food (spot spray weeds "as necessary")

October 1: Scotts Organic Choice Lawn Food (spot spray weeds "as necessary")

November 15: Scotts Step 4 (winterizer)

My main goal was to keep him away from Scotts steps 2 and 3, since they are only useful if you have a major problem, plus they tend to cause more problems than they correct (by damaging the micro herd). I know I could have recommended soy bean meal or some other grain, but I don't think he would want to apply a dusty grain, or haul his butt over to our not-so-local feed store. For his first year, I think something pelletized like the Scotts is a good choice.

What do you think?

Comments (6)

• Billl
    16 years ago

Sounds like a decent compromise - practical, but still lawn-geeky. If he wants to stay a bit closer to the organic side, he could do the preemergent and 1 round of spot spraying and then switch to a weed hound for the rest of the year. The weed hound definitely has lawn-geek-appeal and is a great way to lower your overall chemical use.

• iowa50126
    16 years ago

To me, it seems like too much fertilizer. 5 applications of fertilizer on KBG seems like over kill.

At the most I'd use 3 applications. The 2 I would omit are the March and September applications as they seem redundant. The best time to fertilize KBG is in the fall which should carry the lawn thru May. The Sept 1 application falls during some pretty hot weather in NJ and might burn parts of the lawn. I would also weedhound the weeds all Spring and Summer and only spot spray in the Fall. Less chance of damaging other plants when you use weed killer in the Fall.

Just like over eating can cause obesity...over fertilizing can cause lawn disease problems, ground water problems and is also a big waste of money*. (*sorry I'm Scots-Irish-Catholic and for me, wasting money is a sin, ...grin)

But, It's a free country. So, if money is no object and he can afford to buy fuel to frequently mow a lawn that will grow like "Barry Bonds biceps on steroids"...go for it.

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Iowa......I wasn't thinking that the 5 feedings would be too much since, from what I understand, the Scotts Organic Choice Lawn Food packs less N than your typical fertilizer.

• User
    16 years ago

Scotts Organic Choice Lawn Food packs less N than your typical fertilizer.

It does, but goes down at a higher rate. For winterization, I used 22 lbs of Scott's Winterizer (or whatever they're now calling it) at around 30-3-10 or so. For organic feeding (the rest of the year), I use soybean meal at around 7-1-2 or so. The difference being that I use 90 lbs of soybean meal at a shot.

Your listing--assuming 1 lb of actual N per thousand square feet per application, or 5 lbs N total for the year--isn't too much, particularly for very new KBG. New grass, like adolescents, eats a lot.

I would use pure pre-M in March instead of the fertilizer mix and shift the dates a bit:

March 15: Pre-M with no fertilizer
    April 1-15 (or so): After the second mow, fertilize (synthetic or organic).
    May 20-31 (or so): Five to six weeks after the first fertilization, fertilize again (organic).

That won't force green-up of the lawn too early, and the winterizer you put down this year will be working next March anyway.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

I know it's dusty but would you consider using corn GLUTEN meal in March instead of Scott's? How about if you buy enough for both of you and split the cost with him? The application rate would be 15 pounds per 1,000 square feet. If I remember correctly, that was two passes at the wide open setting on a Scott's drop spreader. You cannot apply with a whirly spreader or else your entire neighborhood will turn yellow. But the results should be impressive.

And you might get him a Weed Hound for Christmas if you can still find one. The price on that tool used to go down at the end of the season, but not anymore. Those things are full price everywhere, and I think I know why.

• rutgers1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dchall.....I don't think that he will consider the corn gluten in March, as his experience with the organic landscape company wasn't so great and he thinks that they used it. I think the real problem with his old company is that they never overseeded and never taught him how to water properly. So, at least until his grass gets established and thickens up, the hybrid organic/synthetic route is his plan.

As for me, I think I might go that route too, but with only one synthetic application. I didn't use a synthetic winterizer this year. I only used the Scotts Organic Choice Lawn Food, and I am hoping that the fertilizer, mulched clippings from the growing season, and a mother load of mulched leaves will provide for a nice green-up in the spring.......but since I still have some bare spots here and there, and since I haven't had a season of weed-free living yet, I am going to try a preemergent for the first time ever in the spring. The rest of my applications will be organic.