Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenjulia

New to Vanda - potting media question

greenjulia
15 years ago

hi! my usual preference is foliage houseplants (my mom is the orchid fanatic), but my bf just surprised me with a vanda ascocenda. it came bare-root in a small plastic basket, and the roots are entwined in the basket and MASSIVE.

i watered the roots until they turned green. my question is this - is potting media REALLY necessary? can i just leave the vanda in the basket (i really don't want to disturb the roots as they look wonderfully healthy and look like they would be impossible to separate from the basket). also, i am a recovering overwaterer, so i like the idea of NOT having media, since it will reduce overwatering.

my only dilemma in leaving the plant bare root is that the roots are hanging out of the bottom so much that the basket can't stand on it's on. could i place the basket inside a decorative pot?

i'm in alabama, so light and humidity won't be a problem at all. i don't know what to do about fertilizer, either.

so, please - give me all the info i need to keep my vanda alive. thank you SO much!!

Comments (16)

• smwboxer
    15 years ago

Your new plant will actually be happier if you do not pot it in any media. Vandas and ascocendas really like their roots exposed. If you do decide to us a media make sure you use something very open like large bark chunks or corks.

• howard_a
    15 years ago

"i'm in alabama, so light and humidity won't be a problem at all. i don't know what to do about fertilizer, either"

You are partly correct. True, Alabama has a lot more going for it as a place to grow vandaceous orchids than... NYC but Alabama is not Thailand or Hawaii for that matter. There is only one region of the U.S. where Vanda grow reliably and that is Zone 10/11 Florida. Even there some just squeak by. Why? Because even in Florida and especially in AL you have winter. Winter is unknown to Vanda's or Asco's so what happens then? My point is that winter is coming soon and you will need to be ready with light and heat and humidity to get it over to next Spring. Summering out the orchid is a good start but often this means too much sun or too little. Indoors lights are a must. I know, it sounds horrible but it need not be. It is my curse to be the forums wet blanket but it comes from a good place.

H

• penelope14
    15 years ago

Hi Greenjulia,

I live in southeastern Wisconsin and grow quite a few vandaceous, including Ascocenda.

They really don't like anything but perhaps large chunks of charcoal (not the barbeque type) in their containers. I have mine hanging either from a shelving unit under lights during the winter or outside on my deck (using a window box holder) during the summer.

I soak mine in a five gallon bucket for 5 to 10 minutes. I add fertilizer to the bucket so the plants receive a diluted amount every time they're soaked.

You could soak the plant and while the roots are pliable wrap them or push them back into and around the basket. If your DH is handy (or you are) a slatted basket can be made from rough cut cedar or you could purchase one. Make it bigger than the one the plant is currently in. Then, place the whole thing in the new basket with the roots wound around the interior of the new basket. Tie the old basket securely inside the new one.

You'll find that in time new roots will attach to the wood and anchor the plant even more. Plus, the wood will hold some moisture that the roots will absorb during the day.

Good luck,

Penelope

• smwboxer
    15 years ago

I grow a couple here in NYC also. I have them potted in clay orchid pots and have nothing but a few tree fern chunks in with them. The sit on my window sill and do fine. Blooming a few times a year, even during the winter.

• cjwatson
    15 years ago

Greenjulia, I live on the north Gulf Coast in FL, not far from Mobile, AL. But I can see from your zone that you are further north in the state. While there is no problem growing vandaceous orchids without media here in the Deep South (I grow many just tied to long S-hooks with no medium at all) during the warm season, it's how you grow during cold weather is the real issue. If you don't have a greenhouse or enclosed sunroom where you can keep the humidity above, say, 50%, the lack of media could be a problem.

However, if you have a very bright east or south window and you can water daily, that should work. If you find that the new to middle-aged leaves are starting to wrinkle, sometimes just adding a temporary thin layer of sphagnum moss or draping the plant with Spanish moss to hold the moisture a bit longer is all you need. As for the dangling roots, that's the nature of the plant. If it is not really heavy, you can buy one of those really cheap expansion curtain rods (under $4) and hang the plant from it. If it is heavier, perhaps a well-placed nail or hook.

There is really no reason you can't grow it indoors with a few adjustments. It may not be deliriously happy through the winter, but with a long hot humid summer coming for R&R, it should do okay.

As an afterthought, you need to keep that window area where the plant is at a minimum of 55-60F at night. Don't go by the house thermostat; it's different closer to the glass. If it's too cool, maybe move the plant further into the room.

• bcfromfl
    15 years ago

I second the observations about, "...humidity not being a problem." The driest part of the year in the southeastern U.S. is March through May-June. This is when many orchids are "waking up" after winter with tender leaves and root tips. I've seen relative humidity as low as 14% in the Florida panhandle, and even 20% when I lived in Vero Beach.

-Bruce C.

• counselor4444
    15 years ago

smxboxer... you grow orchids in NYC? what do you do to grow them? I'd love to try here in NJ but am skeptical that I could keep it alive and/or rebloom....

what kind of lighting and humidity do you use?

• smwboxer
    15 years ago

Yes, I've been growning them here for at least 20 yrs. I have a Southeast exposure. My lower light plants are on a table in front of the window and the higher light lovers are right on the window sill. In the summer they get about 2hrs direct sunlight and in the winter they get a couple hours more. The rest of the day is just bright light. Seems to suit them well as they all rebloom for me. I do run a humidifier all the time. Not sure if it's needed though because I have a Cattleya and Encyclia in the bedroom that do not get any added humidity and they do fine. You really should give them a try. They are not as hard as you might think!

• counselor4444
    15 years ago

thanks for the info... maybe i'll give one a whirl...

• eskiv
    15 years ago

I was given one of these beautiful Orchids as a gift after my best friends wedding and I so much want to keep it alive and I think I am failing. I did not repot the plant, kept it in the plastic crate thing it was given to me in and I have placed it into a metal hanging basket. I now wet the roots down once a week in the shower, I had been spraying it with a bottle every other day. The flowers all fell off and left behind hollow dried almost wooden like stems and one by one the leaves are falling off. one from the right then the left...leaving about 5 per side currently. I now keep it in the bathroom hoping the steam from the shower will help with the humidity level.If they all fall off i dont see how it can ever come back. Where would I grow a new structure from? I dont think the roots look very good, I have a few other orchids and their roots look healthy, i have never seen an open root system before so i dont know what to do. If you can give me any advise I'd so much appreciate it. Im just an upstate girl who loves these tropical flowers :)

• bcfromfl
    15 years ago

eskiv -- I'm sorry to say that it sounds as if your vanda is in decline. It's possible to halt the decline, but unless the plant sends up a basal growth, it will never regrow leaves from the lower part of the plant. What you describe is typical for a failing vanda.

In Rochester, watering once per week is hardly enough. Even a spritz every other day is not sufficient, as the water evaporates before the roots can absorb much.

That said, I think your problem is as much a lack of light as a lack of water. Temperature may also be an issue, as a comfortable temperature in your home is not optimal for vandas.

You're in good company, though. We've all killed plants as we learn! My suggestion is to pick up a good book on orchid culture -- there are several. To cover all the basics would go far beyond what is practical here. If you have more specific questions, we'd be glad to help!

-Bruce

• littlem_2007
    15 years ago

hi, i am also in the north country - canada - and i grow my vandas in unglazed clay pots without much medium - just some coconut husk (strands) or a bit of spanish moss drapped very loosely over the roots .. (smwboxer, i like the idea of tree fern chunks) - I put and unglazed clay saucer upsidedown in the clay pot so that the roots don't touch the bottom and i set the whole thing in a saucer with water in it. the water level is below the inside saucer so that the roots don't "sit" in water but gets the humidity. when we were away for 8 days in september, the vandas were still fine. with the central heating, the vandas stay ok for about 4 days without watering. when i water, i pour water all over the roots and let the water drain to the saucer and i just leave that excess water in the saucer. i don't use a humidifier and there does not seem to be a problem with humidity.
    sue

• vandavixen
    15 years ago

Hi, I guess you can leave the vanda as is ..as that is the way the person bought it. Vandas in general do not like to be desturbed that means any sudden change can piss them off . They need air flowing in through that basket..Misting 2-3x a day as they can not hold the water long. Never using cold water make sure it is about room temp or warmer not hot. or plant gets shocked. The vanda should be brought inside as temps go near 45 degrees or below.
    Soaking once a week not getting the bottom of the plant wet as this can lead to root rot...Watch for that if you soak.
    Peters fertilizer 20-20-20 but schultz 19-31-17...something like that as you soak once a week..I've been reading some over seas threads about soaking them in vases glass vases once a week for 20 mins works great again don't let the water top off to the stem..
    Humidity is a must durring cold days the bathroom steam is great hanging on the bar of the shower leave warm water in the tub.
    Again they don't like to be desturbed so the least change and stress the better.
    Fillers like packing foam from boxes ..pumous stones coconut husks..charcoal are great but let lots of air get in ..Hang near a sunny window when inside .
    Depending on what type vanda it is sunlight in morning strong and less in afternoon..If it is a semi terrete
    or strap leaved...Any sign of stress the leaves will wrinkle up and bend turn yellow and die.
    After a bloom bottom leaves can fall off this is normal.
    Good luck

• ela1ne
    8 years ago

I have a Vanda Pachara in my apartment and since I got it 3 days ago, I've been soaking the roots in lukewarm water for about 15 minutes. I have mine hanging (command hook) by my east facing window. I'm getting worried fall/winter in NY is coming. I work long hours (8am-8pm) so in thinking to makeshift a greenhouse-humidifier my Vanda and I need ideas. I don't want to kill my plant but I also want to accommodate misting frequently and keeping the humidity up. Please help

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    8 years ago

Next time start a new thread. After the roots are wet they need to dry. It is possible to give it too much humidity. It is best to water in the morning giving the plant to dry out in the daytime. Vandas take the most light of all orchids. Keep the temps 50 or above. Feed frequently.

• mickeymantle
    8 years ago

I have grow orchids in Nyc it is about as humid there as anywhere in the country , I keep them in a west window year round and they bloomed for me with no problems

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!