Hallie's Rose

kaylah
13 years ago

A link to Hallie's Rose.

Image link:

Comments (9)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

What a gorgeous rose. It sounds vaguely familiar but I couldn't find it on HMFR. Can you tell me more about it please?

Ingrid

• kaylah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've told the story of Hallie's Rose before on the antique rose web. Here's the latest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banshee/ Jeremiah Pink

• Krista_5NY
    13 years ago

It's a very charming rose, lovely blooms and foliage.

• twohuskies
    13 years ago

That is a very pretty rose!

• lola-lemon
    12 years ago

This is late posting.... I believe my friend has this rose.
    My best friend and her family all grow a completely hardy medium / light pink fully double, very fragrant rose that suckers and grows wide, while reaching about 7 ft height. Heavy bloom in late spring and scattered bloom later. Balls in wet weather. Extremely healthy.
    --- it came from the grandmother's house (they were Irish) in Laurel, Montana.
    My best friend's mother recalls this grew in her mother's yard (grandmother) as far back as 1940. Possibly earlier.
    I've searched high and low trying to id this rose. One uncle suggested it came by way of Canada??

It's growing great guns in Missoula, Mt. ....one uncle occasionally has potted up the suckers and sold them at the farmer's market over the years.

• kaylah
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's funny I happened to come over here to the gallery. I seldom do. Was your friend's grandmother named Hallie Nesbith?, Lola?
    I have spent some time reading about Canadian rose breeders and think there might be a connection. This rose is so tough I think it must have Canadian rose genes, like Therese Bugnet. Another rose I read about was the Loyalist rose, which came with Scottish loyalists to Canada from New York. It is supposedly just Maiden's Blush, but I thought maybe it got crossed with a Canadian rose.
    Hallie had a lot of roses, an acre long hedge of Harison's Yellow for instance. She gave me some of that and some purple cranesbill which nobody sold around here, back then, but now they do.
    My brother said it was a bad day when the new owners killed all her roses. They parked a car on one and he tried to climb under and dig it out but no luck.
    The closest ID I came to was High Country Banshee from High Country roses, and they got it from Fairmount cemetery in Denver, which does have a Nesbitt buried there.
    They thought it was Banshee, but it's not.
    I bought one to compare them. Hopefully, it will bloom this year.
    Here's a link to HCB.

Here is a link that might be useful: HCB

• zeffyrose
    11 years ago

It is a lovely rose

Florence

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

Hey- just popped back and saw your post.
    No- not a Nesbith, A Murphy. Though I just learned the rose was growing at their house when they bought it in 1943. So, someone put it there in Laurel before the 40s. I understand that the Laurel neighbors often shared cuttings of all kinds of plants.
    To me, i Do think your rose and my rose must be the same rose- though the flowers on my friends are very full- more than your photo- and a tad lighter....but i wonder if it could just be variation from each particular cutting/ sucker? I look at the photos on Helpmefind of Banshee and they look like 3 different roses and one looks just like my friends.
    The uncle who thought it was canadien was from Canada (marriage related) and a typical Canadien cemetry rose, it seems.

I am about to rustle another very old rose growing completely unattended in a yard in Missoula for probably 80 or more years. Its huge, single red once blooming and when it blooms you can smell it from 50 feet away in the cold spring air. It's an arching 5 feet high (so 7 feet canes?) shrub. Do you recall the cold snap In 1989? When the weather went from an unseasonably warm 40-50's to like 22 below zero in a day (with big wind chills of about 50 below zero) and these 2 roses both survived fine unprotected just west of Hellgate canyon (known for funneling wind).
    I remember the tires on my car froze and it felt like i was riding in a flinstones car with stone wheels. But atleast my car started! Crazy Montana weather!
    Btw, arent there 2 cemetaries in Laurel? County and Catholic? I wonder if the county assessorcould give you names of home owners from the 20s and 30s if you found places with the rose growing?
    Cheers and happy summer!

• kaylah
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't live in Laurel-my brother does and he got it from Hallie. She said it came from her husband's parent's ranch and it was there when she married him. She was my brother's next door neighbor and had quite a rose collection. When she died the new owners chopped and burned all the roses. She had an acre long hedge of Harison's Yellow and they also described a tall red rose.
    Laurel is a German town so who knows where the tall cold-hardy roses came from. I've tried a couple roses crossed with rosa setigera(native climber from Michigan) but they've died down to a foot high. There is a tall rose named Hurdalrosen in Sweden which legend says was brought there from Germany. But it is scentless. There were rose breeders in Canada like Skinner and one in North Dakota who went to Russia and brought back the Russian Olive, caragana, and alfalfa.
    There was something interesting going on in Laurel with the passalong plants. I also got some cranesbill from Hallie which was purple. There wasn't any purple cranesbill at the local nurseries for a long time though there is now. I saw it in a book about english gardens, though.
    I remember that 89 cold snap. I didn't have any roses then but I lost every flower I did have-even the shasta daisies.
    Maybe we can do some trading sometime. I've got suckers of all kinds running around.