Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pollywoggin

Help finding watercress

pollywoggin
15 years ago

ribbit! :)

I thought that this forum might be able to help me locate watercress, as a bog plant. (not nasturtium, which my google search keeps trying to throw at me) I would greatly appreciate any help.

thanks all,

Nicci

Comments (21)

• beth4
    15 years ago

Not sure if this is what you had in mind or not, but I've found watercress in the grocery store, and bare-root planted it into my waterfall areas. The plants have taken off very well and thrived during the summer. Of course they die out in the fall....and they die more quickly in the pond when the fish nibble at their roots. If this is what you're interested in, you should see watercress make an appearance in your grocery store within the next few months.

• pollywoggin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Beth,
    Thank you. Yes, I've seen it in supermarkets here too. Unfortunately, it has had the roots already cut off everywhere I've run into it. :( So an online source for seed or plant would suit me well.
    Nicci

• lsst
    15 years ago

I purchase mine at the grocery store and it does not have roots. I place it in the pond and it roots within a week.

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

If I can't find it at a regular market, the Asian markets always have it. And yes, it roots quickly and is quite invasive.

• horton
    15 years ago

True Watercress (Nasturtium officinale, N. microphyllum; formerly Rorippa nasturtium-aquaticum, R. microphylla) Is a low lying, broad leaved plant that grows at the side of streams and ponds. It has small white flowers in the summer. Prefers fast flowing water.

http://www.oscseeds.com/detail/index.php?Proid=2205&Clink=sub-category/index.php?secondID=SC0020

Garden cress/Pepper cress (Lepidium sativum) Is a smaller curly leaved plant that can grow to two feet in height. It also is grown in very moist soil.

http://www.oscseeds.com/detail/index.php?Proid=2200&Clink=sub-category/index.php?secondID=SC0020

All these types of cress are from the mustard family.

You can purchase seeds on line or mail order from many seed houses in N America.
    There is usually enough seeds to last a life time in those packets.
    [Google search for Watercress or Garden cress seeds].
    Or as already suggested, buy a bunch at the grocery store, which will root very quickly in moist soil.

"Horton"

• kalevi
    15 years ago

Watercress without roots will grow them in no time. I go to an Oriental grocery and buy a couple batches every spring for less than $2.00. I let some float and stick most so they get the current from my waterfall. They do very well over the summer.

• tomkaren
    15 years ago

In Florida it dies back in the hot weather and reappears in winter and the spring. But yes the supermarket type roots very quickly.

• mikemerk
    15 years ago

I wish I knew you were looking last year. I could have ripped it out of my waterfall :-).....see pic. BTW, grown from supermarket with no roots.

-Mike

Here is a link that might be useful:

• horton
    15 years ago

What waterfall Mike? LOL
    Watercress would take over the world if you let it!
    It is a great water filterer for the pond.

The watercress grown for grocery store produce, is tasty in a salad or on a sandwich instead of lettuce.
    Then there is always Watercress soup. Mmm mm good!
    "Horton"

Here is a link that might be useful: Watercress soup

• Linda Hershey
    15 years ago

I have checked my local groceries and have never found it around here. I looked last year and have looked this year as well, but it may be a bit early. Does anyone know of a chain store who may sell it. I'm in central OHIO. Thanks.

Kitt

• beth4
    15 years ago

Horton, you may have answered something I've always wondered. Is it safe to eat the watercress grown in our pond? While mine have never multiplied to the extent Mike experienced (can't believe that is just one season's growth!!), I do have quite a few plants. I've always wondered if it would be safe to eat, but have never taken the plunge, because I wasn't sure if washing it off in cholorinated tap water would be sufficient to kill whatever is swimming in our ponds.

Thanks for the info.

• horton
    15 years ago

Beth, we grow it in our ponds and have eaten it, many times, with no ill effects.
    My wife snips off the leaves at the very end of the stalks.
    It is washed in ordinary tap water prior to being consumed.

Each to their own. I did not want to start a whole debate up again, on the safety of eating plants/fruits/vegetables, that are grown in pond water. That is why I avoided mentioning that we do use our own pond grown,watercress, in salads and sandwiches, etc.
    If people have a concern about using it from their ponds, then buy the grocery store produce. But where and under what conditions, is that grown? LOL
    "Horton"

• troy_l
    15 years ago

I think I will have to look at our local grocery store for this. If all else fails there is like 5 asian stores that would prolly have it. How soon can you put itin the pond? I mean this early in the season?

Troy

• frogman4_gw
    15 years ago

Meijers and Krogers caries it. I picked some up today at Krogers. 1.49 per bunch goes a long way.

• summergardener
    15 years ago

Mike, that is what mine did. I started ripping it out, and it would grow back as fast as I'd rip. I bought 1 bundle at the local Giant Eagle greocery store and let it root in a pail of pond water. It took off like....a weed. Careful if you do plant it.

• aquawise
    15 years ago

The stuff grows wild around here Just pop over the hill and collect it along with duckweed.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    15 years ago

I don't have any problems with it so long as it is grown in an aerobicly positive environment... and properly cleaned. I always loved it when we had Creesey Greens for dinner. Lightly saute'd with crisp salt pork, it is delicious. When it is not properly cleaned, though, the sand can ruin the enamel on your teeth. Sandy

• pollywoggin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone here! :) Wow, I sure learned a lot about watercress! And yes, my main objective is to eat it....I love the peppery flavor...mmmmm
    Mike, I am jealous. Is that your pond? It's beautiful! Mine is 5 times smaller, lol, but it's a start.
    Nicci

• garbird
    15 years ago

You can buy it at Value Market in Louisville,KY, and Jungle Jim's in Cinncinnatti, OH.

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

I know watercress has some good medicinal properties, but it tastes too much like a radish for my tastebuds.

• lizql
    15 years ago

Kitt

I get mine at Giant Eagle Super Market. Usually throw it in after Memorial Day. A small bunch goes along way.