Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve1young

Mosquito Dunks: OK for Frog/Toad Larvae?

steve1young
14 years ago

I wanted to confirm something: Mosquito Dunks will kill mosquito larvae, but it won't in any way negatively affect frog/toad larvae? Is that correct? Thank you! Steve

Comments (33)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    14 years ago

I think you mean tadpoles but Mosquito Dunks will not hurt the tadpoles. Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies Israelensis strain EG2215 is designed to kill mosquitoes and a few related insects only. Sandy

• steve1young
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Sandy!

• jpinard
    14 years ago

Sandy, does that hurt Dragonfly Nymphs?

• sleeplessinftwayne
    14 years ago

JP, I went back to the most recent Gov. requirements for reporting info on insecticides by manufacturers and by its stated conclusion BTi affects mosquito larva, blackfly larva and fungus gnat larva. It may have an effect on daphne but that is apparently too low to be included in the data.
    In any case, potential harm to subjects other than the target are required on the package label.
    It is also important to make sure you are using the correct BT for the target. There are several. For instance, BTk, Bacillus Thurengenesis kurstaki is the one used for control of catapillars and has no effect on mosquito larva. Sandy

• digginitup
    14 years ago

Hi
    I have a pond with koi and turtle(1), lotus and water plants etc. The reason I
    am writing is to beg you to stop using those dunks. The Goverment information should be your last resource if you want to protect yourself and especially bee's. Much info is availabe online about these horrid dunks. I battle those bad bugs easily because I don't kill off or chase good bugs or birds away. If you have fish there is a remedy I can share with you. If you do not, I have that also. I also would research the dunks ingredients actives AND non-actives. You will be shocked that these poisons are banned from Military use around our soldiers due to toxicity. Consumers are another story which states in writing we were aware of said ingredient apon purchase. I went through 3 seasons of h-- apon stopping all chemical anything. I know what your going through out there. It was time to thank Mother Nature back I suppose. Please don't use them please. :(

• sleeplessinftwayne
    14 years ago

Digginitup, can you please give me a source for your claim. I have never run across a reputable source that was negative. The advantage of BT products is that they do not contain any pesticides or poisons of any type.The bees were in trouble long before BTi came on the market. If you are correct I will be happy to retract my posts. Sandy

• Kathy Durrum
    8 years ago

im not 100% sure but put a dunk out in my pond and within a couple of days my tadpoles were dead. it could have been something else but everything else was the same. my husband says that tadpoles eat mosquito larvae so not to use the dunks anymore.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

I use mosquito dunks and have for years in ponds without circulation and the toads and frogs deposit the eggs in these still ponds, the tadpoles grow into adults and start the cycle again. Tadpoles do eat mosquito larvae. I'm sorry about your tadpoles.

• Donna Lewis
    8 years ago

I've been looking around because of a neighbor who has a water feature that infests the neighborhood every year. The tadpoles are a concern to us, as are dragonflies , birds and bees and from what I've been seeing the minimum doses are safe for them but the maximum dose had a 100% mortality for tadpoles after 48 hours. I'm still on the fence because we already have seen small swarms of mosquitoes and I wanted to toss the right amount over their fence as soon as possible, just kidding (kind of). I guess asking permission is the best way, then I'll have the proper measurements to decide the dosage.

• buyorsell888
    8 years ago

I have been using Mosquito Dunks in my ponds and water features since 1997 and I have hundreds of treefrogs and dragonflies every year. Wildlife such as birds, squirrels, raccoons, opossums and the occasional cat drink safely too.

• Mike
    8 years ago

Yep, they eat mostly algae. Watch them sometime.

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I wouldn't be too quick to say tadpoles won't eat mosquito larvae. It's a well documented fact that sometimes tadpoles eat other tadpoles. Happens commonly in arid areas where water tends to be ephemeral and tadpoles need to develop very fast before water evaporates. Eating other tadpoles is believed to reduce competition for food as well as provide extra food. What I've seen myself directly isn't conclusive, but I had 3 large tadpoles of Cyclorana australis in a container in a protected place. Ended up with only one (a very large fat one). In a container in my shade house I found a single tadpole of Litoria caerulea. I've never seen a female stop at laying just one egg, so I suspect that tadpole was the hungriest and fittest thus becoming a survivor. So I think it's feasible proposition that tadpoles could eat the much smaller mosquito larvae. But that said, I find that large containers with tadpoles in them sometimes end up with a lot of mosquito larvae as well. The solution I developed was to keep floating Utricularia plants in with the tadpoles. The plants eat the mosquito larvae as they hatch. I also have fish that will eat mosquito larvae but not tadpoles. There are a number of solutions.

• lmjk1221
    8 years ago

A pond with fish won't be a source of mosquitos breeding. Mosquitos look for standing, still, stagnant water. If they do lay eggs in a pond the larvae will be quickly devoured by the fish. A water feature (no fish, just water), however, could breed mosquitos and dunks would be appropriate in that case.

• mickeyminnie minnie
    8 years ago

Mosquito Dunks and Mosquito Bits are made from naturally occurring soil
    bacteria called Bacillus thuringiensis strain israelensis (for the rest
    of us: Bti). Safe for all except the bugs of target. Between Zika and a Dunk the dunk wins.

• mickeyminnie minnie
    8 years ago

A fish filled pond can still have larvae. I found mine in a in pond Beckett filter box. Any plant out of the water where water can sit is a good place too. I have artificial water lilies on top and water collects in the leaves. Bet that is also a place I have to look at.

• rita_lentz
    6 years ago

So, apparently, only larger species of (of frogs) tadpoles eat mosquito larva. The rest are mostly vegetarians.

http://www.wbrcouncil.org/Departments/Mosquito-Abatement/Natural-Mosquito-Killers

• cinwhi
    5 years ago

So to my understanding everthing but Mosquito larva is Safe, so if I buy fish to eat Mosquito larva too, will they be harmed by eating infected larva. And are these dunks “completely” safe for horses?

• jahil
    3 years ago

The link must have moved. It is no longer active.

• Kathy Durrum
    3 years ago

NO! Don’t do it with any animals around! Kills them!

• Tara
    3 years ago

Kathy Durrum do you have any links or info to support this? My dogs cats, wild birds, snakes, and amphibiaians all visit a very shallow toad pond treated with dunks, and have for 5+years with zero issues. From reading the past comments it seems that you're advice is based on only your husbands opinion, but if you know of some info that is published Id love to read it as Im very involved with the wildlife here and if something were to be a danger I'd want to know.

• Kathy Durrum
    3 years ago

We had it personally happen to us with our annual tadpoles. Since not using anymore they have reappeared

• Marsha Hall
    3 years ago

tadpoles eat only algae at first but develop teeth or such to begin eating bugs that drown. i have mosquito larvae and they dont persue them so added a bit of dunk. Suspect they may eat the dead ones but havent seen them. I start with algae fish food and then add beta food. They love the flaked food. Harder to eat the pellets i erred with this year.

• Marsha Hall
    3 years ago

I have not obseved any issues for my dog or cats and do see them drink.

• HU-477055775
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

My tadpoles are being very slow to mature, and i use mosquito dunks in the pond. the tadpoles hatched last fall and over wintered okay in the pond. now it is June the next year and they are just beginning to start rear legs and i saw one briefly come to the surface, perhaps to breathe. weve had this pond for about 20 years and ive never seen frogs develop so slowly! i feared the worst until i started seeing legs emerge from some. im wondering if the Dunks slowed down their emergence somehow. maybe just the weather, though though. the pond has been very slow to warm up this year, so i give the benefit of doubt to the Dunks.

• Kathy Durrum
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

It will KILL your frogs/toads!! do NOT use!! we saw it first hand in our pond

• Angela Chen
    2 years ago

I have a moving water feature and have used the mosquito dunks which work for mosquitoes but then my water feature grows yucky brown green algae. Any advice on how to use dunks but not have algae? I heard vinegar is safer as u do have birds I. My water feature. I read also a post about putting pennies in the fountain. I would rather put an algaecide that doesn’t hurt animals

• pbon
    2 years ago

Angela Chen, if you have a store nearby that specializes in water features, or one for birds, they should be able to provide you with advice for the algae. At our Wild Birds Unlimited, we bought ”Bird Bath Protector” that is just safe enzymes to keep the algae down in our bird baths (although it does work better if you can start with a clean bath). I wouldn't add vinegar to water, since the quantities needed to kill the algae will probably harm other things as well.

• pbon
    2 years ago

As for the mosquito dunks, the last batch I bought says ”Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis solids, spores and insecticidal toxins.” Not clear if “insecticidal toxins“ are from the Bti or added separately to ”enhance” the killing, although I would think they'd have to list the exact chemical if a separate insecticide is added.

I think the comment about dosage and tadpoles is crucial. If people don't read how much of the dunk to use, they could easily exceed the safe dosage for tadpoles.

• pbon
    2 years ago

Angela Chen, just ran across a great page about algae control while researching water gardens: https://aquanooga.com/how-to-control-pond-algae/ 

• M. NEWSOM
    2 years ago

HU-477055775, Some tadpoles, those such as bullfrogs, may take as long as two years to develop into frogs, but six to 12 weeks is the common length of time for most kinds of tadpoles to become frogs.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm