Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_m

rooting Crepuscule cutting

marcia_m
13 years ago

I received my 3 roses from Chamblee's yesterday. I was sad to see that the main cane of Crepuscule was broken nearly at nearly the soil level. The rose has 2 other, smaller canes. I emailed Chamblee's, but their policy on the main page says they are not responsible for damage caused by shipping, so I probably will keep the rose. Photos of the roses at the link below. The other two roses were in good shape. Duchesse de Brabant has 2 buds and Mrs. B.R. Cant had a small cane broken. I'm satisfied with them.

Anyway, I was wondering how I might root this cane. Can anyone help? I am currently in Florida, not in the frozen north!

Thank you.

Marcia

Here is a link that might be useful: baby Crepuscule, etc.

Comments (8)

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chamblee's replied to my email and is replacing Crepuscule! I am so happy!
    Marcia

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Don't throw out the broken one, it may well come back. This is a tough rose (in a warm climate).

• landperson
    13 years ago

Good for Chamblees !!!!
    Good for you.

Susan

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll plant the broken one and will try to root the broken cane, too. I love the look of the rose in the photos I see online. I hope at least one of them will do well for me.
    Marcia

• luxrosa
    13 years ago

I've rooted nearly 100 different roses and would offer you this advice from my experience.
    If your Crepescule is a band sized plant, with less than 1 inch of cane left, and you want a greater assurance of it growing:
    -I'd gently push it (from the bottom) out of the band and check to see that the soil is moist (not sopping wet)
    -then I'd place it back in the band,
    -put it in a gallon zip lock bag
    - blow the bag up like a balloon, (this creates a mini-greenhouse, which is where it was grown)
    - mist it after the first leaves appear,
    -continue to mist it 3 times a week. f
    -I'd keep it there until it had 2 or 3 sets of mature leaves.
    After the leaves are developed, take it out of the bag for a couple hours the first couple days, then 3-4 hours for a couple days so it acclimatizes to a drier atmosphere.

I've brought several young plants back from the brink of their demise from doing this.

Lux.

• john_ca
    13 years ago

Marcia,

I have purchased many roses from this company, both from personal visits to their Tyler, TX facility and from online orders; in fact, I had an order that just arrived today. I have occasionally received a plant with a broken cane like you have received.

First of all, in my experience the damaged plant will recover quickly. I have had some small own-root roses stomped on by children so that all of the above ground part of the plant broke at the soil line. The rose quickly came back and eventually caught up with other plants at the same stage of development.

Second of all, if you look carefully in your pot, it appears that there may be 2 own-rooted plants in the pot. It is a common practice at Chamblee's to put more than one rooted cutting per pot, perhaps because if one dies, the other will take over. I once received a one gallon pot of Ambridge Rose from them with FIVE plants. If you soak the root ball in a tub of water, you can carefully separate the individual plants and pot them up in their own individual pots and let them recover for a month or 2, then transplant the indiviual plant in your garden. I now have a bed of 5 Ambridge Rose plants instead of a single plant. I also ordered Crespuscule from them and there were 2 in my pot. I now have 2 plants in my garden on either side of an arbor.

Chamblees is among my very favorite rose nurseries. I just wish the shipping costs were more reasonable to CA (last year, it was around $4 per plant; this year nearly $7! But the increase in shipping fees is what is charged by UPS for delivery.)

Good luck with Crepuscule; it is a magnificent rose!

John

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I think Chamblee's has a good reputation. I have purchased roses from them for my PA garden, too.

Lux, I'll consider your suggestion. The plant does have one smaller, actively growing cane, although the broken cane had more new growth buds and leaves on it. Thus, my desire to root the broken cane.

I didn't look closely in the pots to see if there were more than one rooted rose. I won't be ready to plant for a couple of weeks (waiting for a storage building to be delivered and I don't want any 'accidents' when it is brought through the yard). I'll care for the potted plants carefully until ready to plant.

UPS shipping was $7+/per plant to Florida, too, John. I'm glad to hear you think Crepuscule is a wonderful rose. Now I need a rose arbor, too.
    Marcia

• carolinamary
    13 years ago

Chamblees replaced a rose that arrived almost totally broken off down low here, and they offered to do so on the day I called them (the day the rose arrived). I wondered whether I might not be able to get the rose to recover, though, so I didn't immediately take them up on the offer. Unfortunately, I didn't know or think to worry about sealing off that broken end to discourage sawflies, and the rose succumbed to sawfly damage from that broken main cane. But they were still willing to replace the rose, even later. Those are great people at Chamblees to deal with!

Best wishes,
    Mary