Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krishnakaladev

In need of help, planning for Lotus plants!

krishnakaladev
14 years ago

Hello all, i'm new here and I have some questions..ok a lot of questions. I just need to be pointed in the right direction with this!

Alright, so just recently my Pimelodus Pictus (silver, dark blue/black spotted catfish) died last night because someone decided to mess with my tank, so I now have a 20gallon aquarium tank to work with. I don't have a pond or anything because I live in an aprtment and since I always wanted to grow Lotus plants, I could possibly use the tank? The dimensions are 24x12x16 (LxWxH).

I have a really good filter (RENA) on the tank still, and still has the filter insert from when the fish were in the tank. Would that help the Lotus grow better because of the fish's bacteria and some waste products? I was going to just change the filter before I start everything but again I know nothing about growing water plants even though I have 7+ years expereince with tropical fish (all self learned, and then for 3 years i worked at a pet store) and a LITTLE self learned experience with growing aquatic plants. When I had the aquatic plants (simple ones like amazon swords, brazilian swords, etc) having the fish in the water and some iron product I used helped them grow OUT of the tank. I have a powerhead for extra flow (adjustable and I could turn it off and on whenever), and a great quality submersible heater.

My next question is to get a little help on growing from seeds or tubers. Firstly, which one have you all had experience with? For those who have grown from seeds, I just want you to help me make sure I got the right idea.

~So i'm supposed to scarify the seeds until I see the white flesh inside and keep them in warm water in a small container *is there anywhere online that sell pre-scarified seeds? lol*

~Then when I see the green stem thing *thus verifying my noob-ness, I don't even know what it's called* I get a tub, fill it with heavy garden soil, atleast 3" high, then stick the seed inside with the green thing sticking out

~Then um..well then what do I do?

My main questions for that part are like, what size tub or pot should I even use? I was thinking, could I simply plant them straight in the tank and let them grow from there, filling up the tank accordingly (with aquarium water treatment for chlorine of course)?? Anything else i'm missing, please fill me in!

Now for the tubler growers, I'm under the impression that after buying the tublers, when they come in I have to wash them off gently with warm water, then place them in a little dish or container and keeping the water clean at all times until the little new white roots grow. Then place them in soil and let them grow. Again, after i have them in the little container, could I just put them in the tank? How much soil should I add?

For any one of those, if I have to use a small pot, so be it. my main issue is space in the tank I guess, but then again, what do I know lol. Now, lastly, my tank is in my hallway, but i'd say probably 3.5 feet from my room and my bathroom, so sunlight shouldn't be an issue. I'll provide a picture taken at 2:44pm today. If anything, I could always get a flourescent light that immitates sunlight *stuff people use for reptiles or birds* but have it hang off the ceiling higher than the tank so it's not exactly on top of the aquarium *i'll have a picture of that too*.

I know i'm probably missing a lot and wrote an army of run-on sentences but I'm really excited to start this off. Lotus plants (red, deep pink and blue) are very special and mean a lot to me. Any help is greatly appreciated, and if anything need to be clarified (which I wouldn't be surprised lol) let me know, i'm going to be home all day anyway haha. Thanks SO much for the help in advanced!

Jai Sri Sri Radha Krishna~

Comments (4)

• krishnakaladev
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Alright, so I cleaned out the tank and everything else. I figured i'd be better off putting the tank in my room since it'll get more direct sunlight in here and my room is always warm...even in the winter. I honestly don't mind having the tank in my room either...as long as my girlfriend doesn't object. I just hope my incense won't cause it any harm...i burn them every few days...
    Jai Sri Sri Radha Krishna

• sleeplessinftwayne
    14 years ago

I hate to stifle enthusiasm but the amount of light coming through a window is not likely to be enough for lotus. They require Full sun and that is very bright indeed. You could get a set of lights that would increase your chances but those would be Halogen or one of the brighter lights. Flourescents just don't have the intensity needed. The proper lights are very, very expensive and more expensive to run since they are energy hogs and need to be on 18 hours a day. Your girlfriend would need a sleep mask.
    A 20 gallon tank might be a bit small. The tubers can get quite large and the plants grow as much as 3 to 4 feet tall. At that size, the tank would fall over from the weight of the foliage. You would need at least 6 inches of soil or more. If you don't use a pot, pressure from the developing tuber could separate the sides of the aquarium.
    I had failure after failure until I added hydrogen peroxide, from 10 to 50%in volume to the water in which I was soaking the seeds. Fresh water with peroxide is needed each day. I use a Dremel electric tool with a cutting wheel to cut through the very tough seed shell. I soak them for a week before I use the Dremel. It takes a firm hand but gentle pressure to avoid cutting into the inner seed. If you have a lot more patience than I do, you can use a sanding wheel on the Dremel. It will still take some time before the shell splits and it starts to send up a sprout. The seed needs to stay in water until it is put in soil. Sometimes the shell comes off and sometimes it does not. Don't worry about it. Damage to the root, cotyledon or sprout will usually result in fungus and a dead seedling.
    If you have become discouraged with all this detail, you can always get dwarf red lotus that is just right for an aquarium. The blossom is not impressive at all but the foliage is lovely.
    If you are still determined, I have put a link at the bottom that will be of far more help than I could ever be in such a short message. Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing lotus from seed.

• peonie
    14 years ago

Hi sleepless,

Thanks for the link to growing lotus from seed. My sister has a small farm pond with lotus we were just talking about this yesterday.

Peonie (you may see my name alot because I have so many Questions.)

• jimboace
    14 years ago

I have raised a number of lotus from seed and have tried using my aquariums as starter beds. While they readily sprout provided you first use a hacksaw to cut through the seed pod, they would not grow past a few weeks in the aquarium. I am sure it was lack of intense sunlight as the previous person said.

Once I transplant the seedlings outdoors in full sun, they grow nicely.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths