Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obsessed_nj

Woohoo! I'm so excited!

obsessed-nj
16 years ago

Went out to turn off the waterfall pump before going to work this afternoon and was surprised to find a new resident. This shot was taken thru a glass sliding door approximately fifty feet from the pond so it's not very clear, but you can see the cutest little turtle basking on the log in the middle of the pond! He/she won't let me get close enough for an accurate ID before diving into the water, but comes back up on the log fairly quickly. Looks like either an Eastern Painted or an Eastern Red-bellied Turtle. Either way, I'm thrilled he/she chose my pond as I've considered buying a turtle (or two or ten). Sure hope it likes the accommodations and decides to stay :)

Linda

{{gwi:204219}}

Comments (12)

• nkm56
    16 years ago

How adorable! I wish I was so lucky, as I've considered getting a turtle also. It looks quite content sitting there basking.

I notice a "streak" across your picture just above the water lily blossom. Is this filament line for predator protection?

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

AW, How cute, looks like he's claimed a prime piece of real estate!.....I hope he stays.

Joann

• obsessed-nj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, that's the original nylon rope marking where the shallow (3') part of the swimming pool ends and the deep (6') part begins. I left it there to keep the water hyacinth from swamping my water lilies. :)
    Linda

• bugsb
    16 years ago

Congratulations on your new resident. I really enjoy my Pebbles and Bam Bam (red eared slider turtles) they keep the rest of the pond dwellers and guests in line. Your water hyacinth really look nice also.

Here is a link that might be useful: My pond the way it was before the freeze.

• comettose
    16 years ago

What a cutie pie! I think she/he will stay since they moved in on their own. Let's hope no armored relatives show up though! Your pond is beautiful!

• obsessed-nj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you ALL for your kind compliments and well wishes! Kinda wish my new tenant had showed up on a "clear water" day instead of a "pea green" day so you could have seen all the goldfish swimming under/around his log ;) Oh, well, he seems content to match the decor so I guess it's all good!Just wish I had more time to sit and enjoy the pond life.
    Linda

• turtlesrgr8t
    16 years ago

Hello..new to the site and have been thrilled reading all of your comments. Getting ready to do a 8/11 pond for my RES guys who have been in a 50 gal aquarium/and kiddy pool on sunny days. You all sound like you're out in the woods or have no fences and have pretty cold winters..here in california everything is fenced and walled..will wildlife find my pond? I have had a blue heron feasting on my goldfish (feeders)when I clipped back all the bushes and exposed it to his fly over..I did purchase tadpoles for my really small pond and now have a frog and 2 toads (you never know what your gon'a get).
    Thanksgiving is our project date so I'm gathering as much info and pics as I can. I appreciate all the input from this site.

• always_outside
    16 years ago

I live right in the heart of Dallas/Fort Worth, TX, and my yard is small and located in the tight CITY. It's fenced in completely, yet I have found snakes (small, harmless ones!) and toads visiting my pond. It's really neat seeing these creatures in the city. :) In the spring, it gets a little annoying bc the toads croak a lot, but it's still nice having them visit.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

I'm in the middle of a suburb almost next to the Indiana-Purdue Campus. We are far from any substantial wooded area but we have had an amazing number of animals show up, especially at night. Sandy

• User
    16 years ago

I was thinking of buying a turtle for my ponds but thought they would just walk away and maybe die , so I never did. Good luck with yours. If he came on his own, he'll probably stay..I just didn't want to see one mushed on my busy street.

• obsessed-nj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The little guy in the picture in my original post stuck around for a couple of months then disappeared as quietly as he arrived. I thoroughly enjoyed having him here and made sure he could leave if/when he wanted. My backyard is surrounded by a 6' chain link fence and the only things it keeps out are unwanted visitors, dogs other than mine, and (so far) deer. I enjoy the company of a resident ground hog, multitudes of squirrels, chipmunks, birds, frogs and toads - and some not-so-welcome visitors such as woods rats
    and a few feral cats that kill every frog they can catch. I bought the 40'x100' lot backing mine just to prevent anyone from clearing the trees that provide food and shelter for so much local wildlife. Nothing de-stresses like sitting pondside and enjoying nature at her best. : )
    Linda

• turtlesrgr8t
    16 years ago

We started with the cute plastic tub you get at the pet store to a 10 gal tank and then to a 50 gallon tank and now we've cleared the corner of our yard to install a 11/16 pond that will be made especially for our guys. Chance is the size of a salad plate and Chance's Buddy is the size of a tea cup. They've been great to watch inside but want them in the wild with beach areas for egg laying and basking. I hope to make it escape proof, although we're missing one from the kiddy pool already. They're pretty tough and can go into hibernation by digging in so I'm hoping he'll show up after we get the pond done...can't wait to start digging.