Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Pretty Jessica and Wild Edric Available Again

Just got an e-mail from Rogue Valley and there are lots of new Austins available now, both older and more recent varieties, including Pretty Jessica and Wild Edric. I put Wild Edric on my Wish List and am happy to see it's available again, since it is drought- and heat-tolerant and doesn't mind poor soil. It's also fragrant and disease-resistant. It sounds like the rose of the future to me and I hope some of you might consider ordering it so we can compare notes and see how will it does in different gardens. I already have two band plants of it in the ground and they look very happy.

There are new roses available in other classes too but I didn't take the time to look at them. I know at least one person here is looking for Pretty Jessica and wanted to spread the word as quickly as possible.

Ingrid

Comments (6)

• User
    10 years ago

I love Rogue Valley, but I'll add that I got an email from Heirloom roses about some varieties being restocked. One of them is their version of Blush Noisette which they claim is thornless. Their picture of it is very pretty, too. I wonder how it compares to all the other BNs out there.

Anybody here grow that particular one?

I'm very tempted to try it, but higher on my trial list for this year are Madame Doré and Basye's Blueberry.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Silly, silly me, I meant HEIRLOOM ROSES not Rogue Valley. Sorry about the mix-up.

Ingrid

• prickles
    10 years ago

I finally gave in and ordered pretty Jessica...but had this terrible feeling that she might be a challenge for a no spray garden...

Original Author
    10 years ago

prickles, my garden is no-spray, and I haven't had any disease on Pretty Jessica, even though other roses in my garden have had mildew and blackspot.

Ingrid

• prickles
    10 years ago

Thank you Ingrid--it's nice to know about Pretty Jessica's disease resistance in southern california. I may try her in the future. I emailed Heirloom, and Shonna was so very nice in helping me to change my order to Wild Edric. I believe you have him too, don't you? I always wanted to grow Wild Edric--but grafted, because I fear rugosa suckers. Heirloom only has him as own-root and i hope and pray he won't sucker too badly.

Original Author
    10 years ago

prickles, yes I have two Wild Edric bands and will be interested to see whether they sucker. Given our drought conditions, and if WE lives up to his reputation for drought resistance, I might well use the suckers to replace other roses that need too much water. I'm glad you bought one so we can compare notes when our youngsters grow and flower.

Ingrid

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida