Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aladatrot

Beyond frustrated - plant shiopping

aladatrot
11 years ago

I'm in the process of planting my pond, and I am having such a hard time finding plants locally. At the big box stores, they allow their pond plants to dry out in their packaging. I have bought quite a few of them anyway(all my water lilies came from there except for my most recent), and I just return the ones that don't grow. I have yet to find even one Louisiana Black Gamecock to grow, and those are supposed to be native in my neck of the woods!

Petsmart had some lilies in bags as well as some Black Gamecocks, so after returning the first two Gamecocks I got there, I have come up with a Sioux Lily and another Gamecock to try out.

I did make a trek to Nelson's Water Gardens which rewarded me with hornwort, horsetail rush, and creeping jenny purchases. I still didn't find the purple elephant ears I was looking for, and the bog plants they did offer were only on one table thing. I did enjoy the visit, and got lots of ideas. Just didn't find the plant I was looking for.

I'm frustrated. I look on Ebay, and I think that is the cheapest, most diverse source for the plants I would like to try. That said, I'm a little concerned about what ELSE I'm bringing into my ponds. I must not be all that concerned though, because I did purchase some organic indoors grown duckweed from an Ebay dealer in California.

Where are you finding the plants you are adding to your ponds and bogs? I'm just lost as to where else I can look. I'm burning more money in diesel taking back my purchases after they fail to grow within a two week window. Am I just not giving them enough time? Is it normal for the corms to start out firm and then end up mush in a week and a half?

Cheers

M

Comments (15)

• windy1979
    11 years ago

I live in the st. Louis area and finding pond plants was really hard. None of my big box stores carry them and the nearest pond store is 45 minn. away. I tryed Craigslist. I put "pond" or " plants" in the search box and found a bunch of people growing and selling pond plants near me. I got a bunch of plants for way cheaper then the stores and the people growing them where really helpfull with questions I had. If your worried about stuff from the plants getting into your pond you should quarantine them.

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

Online direct from the nursery is good. I also find many marginals planted in neighbor's yards as regular garden plants. Trading with local pond owners too.

• aladatrot
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, I did just do a search on Craigslist and came up with a very interesting plant to buy! Going to contact them to see if they have some other plants for sale to make it worth the trip. Thanks for the CL heads up.

What types of marginals do you regularly find in yards? I was wondering if something I already have may work as a bog plant... Or perhaps something my neighbors or parents have.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Cheers
    M

• diggery
    11 years ago

Same problem here. Big box stores have ceased to carry aquatics (despite my numerous complaints, lol) and not a pond store for milesss in any direction. In desperation, I started experimenting with terrestrial plants in the pond and have had some surprising (to me) results. (adding a link below which I found helpful).

I've always been hesistant to order plants online but a few yrs ago, someone here recommended dragonflyaquatics. I've purchased plants from them since & haven't been disappointed yet. Couple yrs ago, I realized I had omitted one item on my order & called the following morning to see if it could be added. My order had already shipped but they sent it anyway...at no charge.

Hope something here is useful to you.

blessings,
    ~digger

Here is a link that might be useful: terrestrial plants

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

I purchase and trade online from other people with ponds. Have been doing it for fifteen years. Much cheaper than retail.

• diggery
    11 years ago

Trading is definitely the best way to go! And new ponders can often trade terrestrial plants. Not much success in that arena for me when I first started but many others here have reported good results. Give it a shot:)

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

When I lived in Houston there were lots of people with ponds. There is a pond society now so maybe someone there can help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houston Pond Society

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Most aquatic plants grow really fast and have to be divided every year.

Check Craig's List and do check with the Houston Pond Society.

There is a trade section to this forum. There are others out there too.

• Freda
    11 years ago

I bought peppermint plant this year and put in one of my floating island and its doing really well. Looking for choc mint as its suppose to grow in ponds as well.

• diggery
    11 years ago

Re: mint

Proceed with caution, depending on your zone. I
    love it but the only place it is welcome here is on
    my windowsill - and it doesn't like it there.

blessings,
    ~digger

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

Digger, I know what you mean. I will probably be pulling up mint from around my pond until I'm too old to pull!!

Maet may just have the right idea - put it in a floating island; away from dirt where it can spread those insidious roots!

• aladatrot
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Believe it or not, but my four year old stand of mint in my herb garden is having trouble this year! Might very well try the chocolate mint or spearmint on a little floating cork. What is the difference in that and watermint?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will be joining the Pond Society here locally.

Cheers
    M

• paul46
    11 years ago

Nelson's Water Gardens in Katy

Here is a link that might be useful: nelson's water gardens

• mckool
    11 years ago

Shalom, except for some cattail seeds that didn't germinate ($10), I've been very pleased with what I've bought on ebay - had a couple of other issues, but they were at my end

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

I received a waterlily that was not the one advertised but it turned out ok in the end it was a great bloomer.