Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larrylwill

Which Hybrid Tea Roses grow best here?

larrylwill
14 years ago

I live across the river from Scottsboro Al.

My soil is clay with and small rocks with a 2" layer of top soil. PH seems to be about 7 near the surface.

I only like the Hybrid Tea types of Roses, however they must have a good sent. Knock outs don't count.

Does anyone live near here and can tell me what roses grow best here?

Comments (7)

• petaloid
    14 years ago

I hope someone local to you chimes in but, just in case, I'll put a link below to contact information for five rose gardening clubs in your state:

Here is a link that might be useful: rose gardening clubs in Alabama

• larrylwill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The one in Gadsden is 1.5 hours south west and Huntsville is 1.5 hours north west.
    thank you

• olga_6b
    14 years ago

Larry, let me ask you. Do you plan to spray your roses from Black Spot or not?
    I saw that you are asking about HTs. But what about Teas? I am not trying to convert you but in GA many Tea roses can be grown no spray based on the comments of people on Antique Rose forum and many of them are fragrant. I do grow many of them and they are lovely. I especially love fragrance of Mrs B.R.Cant and Lady hillingdon. Teas bloom nonstop from spring till frost and love the heat.
    Are you familiar with Help Me Find site?
    Olga

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF

• garose
    14 years ago

I live outside of Chattanooga and find the key to growing HT's is to amend the soil as you plant. With a top soil and compost mixture and a good layer of mulch you should have no problem. The following is a partial list of roses that have flourished in my garden:

Mr. Lincoln
    Firefighter
    Bride's Dream
    Ebb Tide (needs a little shade)
    Wild Blue Yonder
    Just Joey
    Midas Touch
    Elle
    Anapourna
    Full Sail
    Lasting Love
    Jacob's Robe
    Don Juan . . .

I do have about 15 more plants on order and I tend to pick up plants during the season as I find ones I can't live without. You will have to spray for BS in this area but I do not spray pesticides. Hope this helps.
    Hope

• anntn6b
    14 years ago

Larry,
    I'm outside of Knoxville, but I know some of the gardens near you well.
    Soil wise, the very large Garden that honors Ted and Mary Alice Mills in the city park in Soddy Daisy Tennessee is on a valley fill very like your soils. It's been there for at least eight years, so would be a good place to visit to see what mature specific bushes look like.

More constrained is the garden at the Chattanooga ChooChoo, but it may have more recent introductions.

I don't know the garden in Huntsville, but the Rose Society there are fans of modern roses. You might also be interested in the TriState Rose Society in Chattanooga.

The ARS site below links to them or contacts for them on their Find Your Local Rose Society tab. Tri State is in Tenarky District; Huntsville is in with Georgia and Alabama.

You do know that one person's fragrance is another's "I can't smell anything"? The best time to sniff is morning, before the heat of the day causes evaporation of some of the scent.

(I think Frederick Mistral is a wonderfully scented rose, BTW)

Here is a link that might be useful: American Rose Society website

• larrylwill
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the info, yes I spray for BS and soap water for aphids. I just like the shape and perfection of the HT I don't like the frilly insides of most antiques although I like some
    This year I will start with
    Baronne Prevost
    Pink Peace
    Oklahoma
    Mr. Lincoln
    John F Kennedy
    Kordes Perfacta
    Miss All American Beauty.
    Chrysler Imperial
    Golden Masterpiece
    Double Delight
    Blue Girl
    Curley Pink
    White Knight
    Love
    Marandy
    Gold Glow Runner
    Spicy Hot Runner
    Sundowner
    Kordes Perfecta
    Proud Land
    Dolly Parton
    Blue Girl
    Marchesa
    Therese Bugnet
    Love
    Double Delight

• petaloid
    14 years ago

Larry, you've gotten good advice here, and if you get in touch with the folks in the links from me and Ann they may well be able to give other suggestions pertinent to your climate (it's not necessary to drive to their meetings).

You probably know that HelpMeFind is one good source of photos and information about rose varieties:

Here is a link that might be useful: HelpMeFind rose name search