Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheema_gw

Need input on these roses

cheema
16 years ago

I am new to this site and began rose planting two years ago only to make a few mistakes. I have been reading the garden forum now for about six months or so and have enjoyed the array of questions and answers. I have in my garden about 30 or so roses some doing well others not so well. I have a large koi pond therefore chemicals are out of the question. I am always interested in the most disease resistant roses I can find that will do well in Maryland. Blackspot is always a major issue along with bugs. I have just ordered Hansa,Mrs.Doreen Pike, Rosarie de l'Hay,Magnificient perfume,StarsnStripes forever, The Poet,Westerland,Fragrant Masterpiece,RoyalAmber,Joyce Barden,Mrs.William Paul, Felicite Parmentier, Great Maiden's Blush, Konigen Von Denmark. Fragrance is also important to me. If anyone knows anything about these in our area (Maryland) please share!! If anyone would like to share about other roses which resist disease and are fragrant and good for Maryland I would love the input!! Thanks

Comments (2)

• oath5
    16 years ago

Rosarie de l'Hay is a wonderful rugosa shrub. Mine is finally building up height. The flowers are WONDERFUL, with heady perfume that smells kinda soapy to me. I used a bloom for my prom bou They aren't good for cutting, more like, floating in a bowel, but the color is beautiful cool crimson that fades to mauve. My bush, which is maybe three-four years old now, tries to have three point five flushes and every year so far each flush get's more and more, hence the point five. Very thorny, but tough, I call it "Rosarie the Riveter" because it really doesn't get disease much. It does loose some of the lower leaves throughout the season, as in yellowing leaves and dropping them and towards the end of the season in September, October the leaves themselves look really, really tired, but no blackspot really.

Albas's and gallicas do really well here. Olga can tell you more about them. I can recommend Tuscany Superb, excellent disease free foliage and very vigorous.

• olga_6b
    16 years ago

Cheema, welcome to this site.
    I will describe my experience with some of the roses on your list.
    I see you have a lot of rugosas. They are mostly good in terms of resistance to BS, especially original rugosas not their hybrids. The bad thing is they are always the first roses to attract JBs. I know that in some MD areas JBs are less of a problem, so I don't know how it will be for you, but here they are horrid and I don't see a single bloom on rugosas from mid June to mid/late August.And even the leaves are all skeletonized.

Hansa - very vigorous rose. Not as resistant to BS as Rosarie de l'Hay, but still OK most of the years.

Rosarie de l'Hay -good rose for our climate. My RdlH is in partial shade from mid summer on, so leaves don't look tired, but turn beautiful golden color in the fall. Overall these two roses, RdlH and Hansa are very similar, but i like RdlH much more.

Magnificient Perfume- Fragrance, bloom shape and repeat are excellent, but by no means it can be a no spray rose. I have my MP for more then 5 years and it gets BS as soon as you stop spraying. I am planning to give it away, it is just so huge and it will harm other plants around, so I keep it until somebody really strong will help me to take it out.

Westerland -resistance is better then many other roses, but still will get BS and loose approx 30-50 % leaves. Otherwise fragrant, strong and good repeat. Good choice.

Fragrant Masterpiece - the same comments as for the MP. Great rose if you spray. NOT a no spray rose.

Joyce Barden - not a no spray rose in my opinion.

Felicite Parmentier - great fragrance. Of all the albas I grow this one is the least resistant to PM and BS. I actually spray it. Some people grow it no spray, so it is not so bad, but don't expect it to be completely healthy.

Konigen Von Denmark - very healthy. Great fragrance. Good choice.

Great Maiden's Blush - sometimes get BS badly in my experience. It all depends on a year. Some years it is clean and some years it is spotty.

Soory, it doesn't look too bright, hopefully you get better experience.
    If you are interested, I can put together a list of roses that I would grow in MD if I had no roses and wanted repeat bloom really badly:)

Olga