Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suburbangardenmd

To big for my cups?

suburbangardenMD
12 years ago

I suspect I know the answer to this question...but I figured instead of lurking I would post this and see what some more experienced folks thought. I have been growing from seed in the window sill for three years, this year being the first I upgraded to lights and things exploded. So much so, that I was not prepared for the growth of my seedlings. I have attached a photo of the largest group. The question is, to big for my solo cup planters? Second follow up would be, if they are to big to make it, should I pot up, or harden off and attempt to have them make it outside in the next week or so?

[IMG]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s367/suburbangardenMD/Seedlings/IMAG2101.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (8)

• suburbangardenMD
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Link below

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:20623}}

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    12 years ago

I'd go for hardening off and planting out as soon as the 10-day forecast calls for temps no lower than 40. And start your plants later next year. They look very good now, but they are too big for those cups.

• suburbangardenMD
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess this years gardening theme will be "the gambler"! I always liked Kenny Rogers.

I am just southeast of Baltimore and the temps are scheduled to be above 50 all but one night in the next ten days. I will harden off for the next week and get these guys out.

I have seen one or two tomato plants out in my neighborhood already, not sure if they got the itch early or if they had a poorly timed start like me.

• User
    12 years ago

I guess I'm quite the gambler this year. I bought a small tomato plant that grew quite aggressively on my south east facing window sill. It was a little bigger (perhaps a bit bushier) than the ones in your picture so I bit the bullet and planted outside. The night temps the last couple of days have left me nervous.

• ohsillyme
    12 years ago

Your cup runneth over!

• gjcore
    12 years ago

You could pot them up in the meantime.

• suburbangardenMD
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the responses.

First, silly puns are acceptable on a gardening forum, maybe the only place...but they are acceptable...and yes my cups do runneth over.

I had considered potting up, but with almost 40 total seedlings, maybe 20 or so would need a larger pot, thats a lot of new pots. I think I am going to risk taking a few losses and get them outside. I have already begun hardening off. At this point they go out in the morning when it is still cool, 6:00-6:30, and stay out until after dark, so far so good.

There is a house in my neighborhood that has had small seedlings planted for a month, and with volunteers from last year surviving in a small bed out back I am confident they will make it, as long as the transplant doesn't shock them to bad.

• ohsillyme
    12 years ago

well I'm glad silly puns are acceptable, i guess I too am a gambler! ;)