Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_z7ny

Viburnum plicatum 'Summer Snowflake' needs severe pruning?

ellen_z7ny
14 years ago

I have a Viburnum plicatum 'Summer Snowflake' that has been looking more and more rangy for several years now. It's at least 10 feet tall. I tried cutting it back substantially last year but not severely, and it looked really awkward. What would be the best way to prune it? How well would it respond to severe pruning?

Thanks,

Ellen

Comments (6)

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

Take 1/3 of the largest canes to the ground each year for 3 years.

• ellen_z7ny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's not the kind of shrub that sends up canes, unless I'm mistaken. It's got like multiple slender trunks at the base, which branch out.

Ellen

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

My plicatum had some dieback last year...cut back some of the stems to the ground...shot up several new vigorous stems.

I do agree, Viburnums do not require much, if any pruning. And some you'd wouldn't be able to cutback as I mention as you may have one or two main trunks. My carlesi are like this.

My prunifolium, dentatum and plicatum are more shrubby like and will allow for the 1/3 method...but again I wouldn't do this unless I had dieback or in your case where it sounds like your viburum looks ragged and you've cut it back before. Depending on what you mean by rangy you could try what gg48 mentions above.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

would you agree??? ... that you have the wrong plant.. in the wrong place????

perhaps it is time to be done with it .... and replace it with a plant that fits the space ...

the alternative would be to cut it completely down to about 3 to 6 inches ...... and SEE how it reacts ...

if it dies.. you are on your way to fixing the size problem ....

i suspect.. with my limited viburnum background.. that it will come back just as strong as ever ... but be reduced in size for a few years ...

if it were me.. i would cut it down .. right after flower bloom ... and see what happens ....

though.. you might not get a flower show this year.. based on how you cut it back last year ...

life it too short.. to deal with a problem plant.. in the wrong place.. for the size it can get ... if you are not happy with it.. get rid of it..

who is in charge of your garden anyway.. lol

good luck

ken

• ellen_z7ny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I used the wrong word when I said "rangy." Yes, there has been some dieback and that has left some open spaces. I've been cutting it back with the hope of new branching, but it hasn't been enough.

And yes, it wants to be too large for the space it occupies, because I was given some misinformation regarding its eventual size. But my health and lack of resources prevent me from doing anything about that right now.

Ellen

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH