Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlady48_gw

Where to buy 'Aralia Elata Variegatus'????

gardenlady48
18 years ago

Where is the best place to purchase online? Local nursery doesn't carry it here in central Illinois. Is it that unusual?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Expensive grafted novelty. Shop mailorder sources, prices have varied with forestfarm at least once offering small, unusually cheap starts but 75 to 100 dollars or more seems typical. Correctly fashioned Aralia elata 'Variegata'. Two other variegated forms are on the market as well, 'Aureovariegata' and 'Silver Umbrella'.

• gardenlady_2006
    18 years ago

I am also looking for the Aralia elata Variegata, aureovariegata or Silver Umbrella. Does anyone out there know where I might purchale it online? thanks

• JMLehrer
    18 years ago

Contact Broken Arrow Nursery in Hamden, CT. They have a website, limited mail-order and all the Aralia you mention.

• lisacolburn
    17 years ago

I have taken a look at the Broken Arrow Web site that was mentioned in your posting and they will not mail order that plant. Have you had any luck in finding the plant. I am also interested.
    Thanks,
    Lisa

• gardenlady48
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lisa,
    No I have not found a resource yet. If you do I would sure appreciate hearing from you?
    Thanks in advance. ;-)
    Pam

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Usually what you see offered here is an unbranched stick in an at least five gallon pot, sometimes larger. Grafted stuff like this is often sold that way, in large or largish sizes that command a high enough price to make it worthwhile for the grower to bother with the grafting procedure (the retailer is often more than doubling their purchase price, too).

Could be that once it is up to a 'finished' plant and container size and weight it is seen as too clumsy to ship by some vendors, maybe with concern about the scion being snapped off in handling on the minds of a few as well.

While I enjoy the handsome foliage of these I don't enjoy the handsome pricing. Am also concerned that I have never seen a single large, old specimen despite it having been sold on this continent for some time. Last time I was in the garden of a friend who has (had?) an impressive one maybe 8 ft. tall or more it had started to decline noticeably, with the rootstock also having been suckering with a seeming increase in enthusiasm for at least a few years. Many commonly grafted and planted items actually do not work out over the long term, this may be one of those. More familiar examples are hybrid roses, Japanese cherries, and various other stone fruits - there being numerous multi-stemmed, low-forking specimens of 'Dr. Huey' (a rose used as rootstock by American growers), sweet cherry (Prunus avium) and cherry plum (P. cerasifera) scattered about local gardens and landscapes, likely quite often serving as indicators of failed grafts.

• Donna
    17 years ago

I once saw it available through Greer Gardens in Oregon. They are an excellent mail order company and give good value frorthe price.