Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
first_time_gardener

Looking for seed suggestions to add to next years garden?

Was wondering if I list the seeds/flowers I currently have if anyone might be able to make a few suggestions as to what could look at adding for next years garden?

Here are the seeds I have - all annuals

Yellow Snapdragon

Pink Snapdragon

Victoria White Salvia

Salvia Evolution

Petunias - Red - Trailing

Petunias - Purple - Trailing

Salvia - 12 Pack - Deep Purple

Salvia - Bonfire

Nicotiana - Purple

Nicotiana - White

Plus I have

A mini rose bush - pale pink

A bright pink "full" size rose bush

2 Siberian Irises - Yellow with Purple outer leaves

Want to make a few changes/additions for next year but not sure what to look for, except would like saome later blooming flowers and maybe more perrenials.

Gardens are 2.5'x10' and 2.5x2.5.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thx

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Any of the little Crystal series Zinnia, any of the Profusion series Zinnia, and any of the Magellan series Zinnia. No garden should be without 'em!

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Looks like you have a lot of spikey things. I see from another post you made that you are looking for perennials -- try to get something tall and wispy like thalictrum aquilegiafolium, then some daisy shapes - rubbeckia speciosum is deep golden yellow -- would that match your snaps? You could also just plant plain old shasta daisy or one of a designer shape. Or Coneflower, which comes in all kinds of colors.

Right now it looks like you've got a purple/yellow /white with a splash of red. If you keep that, just look for different shapes of flowers that would fit the color scheme.
    Daylilies would be easy to fit in.

Lime

• susanzone5 (NY)
    17 years ago

Send for garden catalogs for ideas. Try what you like. Parks Seed, Johnny's Selected Seeds, Bluestone Perennials, Whiteflower Farms, all have nice catalogs. Even longtime gardeners are always trying new plants. Pick up some gardening magazines at Barnes and Noble for more ideas.

• bakemom_gw
    17 years ago

You mentioned you were considering winter sowing this year. The forum has lists of seeds that work for your zone.

• maidinmontana
    17 years ago

I think you might be surprised that your snap dragons and salvia will probably re-seed and come back next year, mine do and I could be zone 6a. lamium is a very nice ground cover with nice foliage and small pinkish purple flowers, compliments hostas really nice, lilies are always a nice addition as they have nice foiage most of the season, they have many many colors, yellow rudbeckia has nice yellow flowers that last a long time, they usually bloom the 1st year, so I hear. Good luck.

• lee53011
    17 years ago

I second the profusion zinnias. Grow easily from seed. I also like melampodium which is a yellow annual that grows in a nice clump about 18" by 18". Also nicotiana lime green is great with purple majesty millet. The purple millet may be too large for your area though.

Lee

• webkat5
    17 years ago

A short variety of Shasta Daisy would be nice....

Other perennials you might like are:

Salvia azurea (this one gets very tall, but blooms well into the fall and has the most wonderful sky blue flowers)

Agastache (some are perennial)

Scutellaria alpina...a great little spreading plant with nice flowers.

• sweeper
    17 years ago

Go to the malls and pick their dead heads. That's how I got started.