Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbs10

Magnolia tree seeds

greenthumbs10
12 years ago

Hi, I just found seed pods on my Magnolia tree! First time I've ever seen them, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever grown Magnolia trees from seed. If so, any suggestions? How long will it take to get a seedling tree? Thanks. Donna

Comments (4)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I have a magnolia wilsonii that is about 5', still containerized, that I started from seed. Bloomed for the first time this year but did not produce seed.

In my zone 8 with our mild winters, dropping below freezing just occasionally during the season, I sowed in Fall (October) when cleaned seed was fresh, left the container outdoors (topped with grit), had germination in Spring.

The seed may quickly lose their viability if stored at room temp. The seeds should be cleaned of their outer coat as soon as they come from the pods - flesh contains a germination inhibitor. Gentle rubbing of the seeds on hardware cloth, followed by washing will remove the pulp.

Extended freezing is said not to help these, depending on your zone your second possible choice is your refrigerator. Place cleaned seed in damp peat or sand, refrigerate at approx 40F for 5-6 months. Placing them in the refer now would have them ready to sow warm about March/April, again covered by about 1/4"

• greenthumbs10
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the information! I am in zone 5, and it REALLY freezes here in the winter. If I am reading this correctly, you think it would be better for me to put them in the fridge where the temps stay at about 40 degrees? Hope my hubby doesn't think it is food! :) Donna

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

If I couldn't sow them outdoors, the info I used when sowing came from Penn State hort and it said you really don't want them frozen solid for any length of time...so yes, I'd use the fridge. Hopefully no one will sit a holiday turkey on them, or assume they are leftovers gone bad or something :)

Seriously, what I've done is clearly mark a container so there is no mistaking it's something I want, put it in one of the bins, in the back. No body but me would ever clean the refrigerator so safe here.

• greenthumbs10
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Same here . . . I'm the only one who cleans the fridge! I just got finished cleaning about 20 seeds. I'll do more tomorrow. Can't wait to try this. Thanks again. Donna