Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forever_a_newbie_z8_va

Can I seed oriental poppy etc on top of mulch

forever_a_newbie_VA8
5 months ago
last modified: 5 months ago

I bought a pack of Oriental Poppy Princess Victoria Louise seeds for next year. It says to be a perennial type. From what I read, poppy plants do not want to be moved due to its long tap root. I am considering direct sow to the ground.

1. Is it too late now (nov 13th) for fall sow? Shall I wait till early spring? Or do a winter sow?

2. Can I sow the seeds on the mulch, will they germinate? I want to have them grow in a mixed bed with some roses. The mulch is the ordinary fine wood chips from our county. I need to put out the mulch in all my beds for winter.

thanks very much

Comments (11)

• sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
    5 months ago

Oriental poppies definitely need a cold period to germinate well, and typically, in northern zones, you can sow them anytime from fall through winter. I wouldn't wait until spring though. They won't germinate well (if at all) on top of thick mulch, so you'll want to clear away the mulch in areas where you plan to sow them so they can make good soil contact.

forever_a_newbie_VA8 thanked sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
  • rosaprimula
    5 months ago

Um, I wouldn't. Too many variables, especially sowing anything in wood chip mulch. Although poppies do not enjoy being transplanted, I have done it scores of times...as long as the plants are small. There is, however, a far better compromise which is to station sow a couple of seeds in individual modules or small, 7cm pots. When the seeds germinate and grow on a couple of true leaves, select the best seedling and nip off any others- don't try to pull them out as roots will be damaged, just cut the leaves off at the soil surface.y You can then upend the whole pot/module into your hand and plant in the ground - the roots will experience no disturbance whatsoever. Also, poppy seeds are tiny and fragile - I like to sow seed where I can keep an eye on it, making sure to keep the best seedlings, so I would sow mine in the greenhouse or coldframe to overwinter. Many poppy seeds appreciate a bit of cold weather to break dormancy so no, it is not at all too late to sow yours...in fact, this is an ideal time to start the winter sowing for hardy perennials/shrubs and trees.

forever_a_newbie_VA8 thanked rosaprimula
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks @sah67 (zone 5b - NY)

@rosaprimula

thanks very much for your replies. Exactly the answer I need. I will not try sowing the poppy seeds on the mulch then. Will sow them in individual small pots. I might be able to find those that can be decomposed

• floraluk2
    5 months ago

I would not bother with peat pots (which is what I think you mean by those that can be decomposed). They do not disintegrate unless kept wet and they tend to wick moisture away from the plant. Just use any small plastic pots you have. If you've ever bought annuals you might have old modules lying around. They can be reused repeatedly.

forever_a_newbie_VA8 thanked floraluk2
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    5 months ago

@floraluk2, thanks much! I almost rushed to the closest store to buy those peat pots. Saved me a trip and a few bucks. Good to know I can use those plastic pots. Thanks!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 months ago

take a 3 prong hand rake... move aside a 2 foot square of mulch....

fluff the first inch of soil ... distribute seed ... tamp into loosened soil .. gently water is soil if very dry ... walk away

in spring.. when about an inch big.. on a rainy day.. move the babes around a bit.. and pull mulch back over the area when the plants are big enough to handle such...

ken

forever_a_newbie_VA8 thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    5 months ago

ken: Thanks! That is a good idea. I should have 50 seeds (still awaiting) and I will try a few sowing in ground directly. I need to label carefully for that.

• rosaprimula
    16 days ago

Um, bit spammish, spamistical, spamtastic...

forever_a_newbie_VA8 thanked rosaprimula
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Um I planted 2 packs in pots and did not get one to germinate

• rosaprimula
    15 days ago

Put the pots in the fridge for 4weeks - they like a bit of a cold spell. Keep them uncovered.