Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bevj7

Dwarf Mountain Laurel

bevj7
9 years ago

I have 2 Dwarf Mountain Laurel. They were planted 3 or 4
weeks ago by my niece, I noticed what looks like a fungus on some of the leaves on one of them. I am wondering what to spray them with and if I should cut the parts with fungus out ?
I have 2 large plants and they have always been disease free and healthy. TIA

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you should post a pic.. and get a good ID ... THEN TAKE ACTION...

do NOT go cutting anything off ... unless its dead.. at this point in time..

i here the PNW has been very dank... drab.. and wet ... this spring ..... makes one think of mildew... powdery mildew more specifically ... and a mildew is not a fungus.. hence the need to ID the problem ... and if it is.. i hope you arent spraying down the leaves every evening ...

pic????

ken

ps: if possible.. you could take a leaf to a good nursery.. and they can tell you ... but research options for PM.. BEFORE you go spending money on a cure... i think... baking soda mixed in water.. will take care of it ... and you probably know what baking soda costs ... rather than a $20 bottle of goo ...

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

We've had the 3rd driest June on record. Almost 3 weeks with no rain. Today it rained and made the news. lol
    I've never seen fungus or mildew on my Mt. Laurels. That's a new one on me and I have some growing in some serious shade as well as in the open.
    Do you know the name of the 'Dwarf' Mountain Laurels you have?
    Here's one I like a lot and it seems to grow a lot slower than the species. It's called 'Minuet'.
    Mike

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

those darn mountains in the PNW ...

on side complaining of deluge

the other side bone dry ... lol

this MI boy cant keep track ...

but do we know which side she is on???

ken

• bevj7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am going to take your advice and take some leaves to a knowledgeable nursery. Thank you.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Ken, you can tell what side of the Cascade Mountains by what Zone is listed. The west, wet, side is mostly Zone 8. The east side is mostly Zone 5.
    Mike

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

i here the PNW has been very dank... drab.. and wet ... this spring ..... makes one think of mildew... powdery mildew more specifically ... and a mildew is not a fungus.

Ken, you didn't really mean that the way it sounds, did you? Powdery mildew most certainly IS a fungal problem and yes, it can be encouraged by weather conditions but also by growing conditions (soil type, amount of shade, air circulation, etc.). While it is very often a late season issue, warm, wet springs - like much of the PNW experienced this year - can bring it on early. And yes, Mt. laurels can develop powdery mildew, just like their rhododendron cousins. They can also develop a number of other foliar fungal issues as well, especially in our mild and damper west coast climate.

Here is a link that might be useful: PM fact sheet

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!