Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jxa44

Pictures of your favorite combinations?

jxa44
17 years ago

I'm busily surfing through my favor garden catalogs these days, trying to figure out which plant combinations I want to try -- I have *lots* of empty spaces since the last freeze wiped out many of my plants.

I'd love to see some pictures from your gardens of combinations that just kncocked your socks off. Any takers?

Comments (24)

• donn_
    17 years ago

Leucanthemum x superbum 'Silver Princess' in front of Rudbeckia hirta 'Burpeei:'

{{gwi:198318}}

Closeup of R. hirta 'Burpeei' with Echinacea purpurea:

{{gwi:36798}}

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Here's some of my favorites:
    {{gwi:198319}}From Garden Misc

Golden creeping jenny and moonbeam coreopsis make a bright edger all summer long. Months and months of blooms. {{gwi:198321}}From Garden Misc

Anthemis tinctoria, lady's mantle, yellow daylily, shasta daisy - all blooming together.

{{gwi:198324}}From Garden Misc

Purple coneflower and pink perfection lilies. Lilies and anything really. . . . {{gwi:198325}}From Garden Misc

Cosmos, sedum autumn joy, cleome, hibiscus moscheutos - all common, similar pink and white shades. {{gwi:198326}}From Garden Misc

I've shown this photo before, but I love rose campion and veronica incana together - perfect complements.
    {{gwi:198327}}From Garden Misc

Euphorbia polychroma and dark purple iris, and montana bluet. Quite bright in the spring.

• bean_counter_z4
    17 years ago

Favorites: Roses and clematis
    {{gwi:198328}}
    Daylilies with petunias and dusty miller.
    {{gwi:198329}}
    Lilies and veronica
    {{gwi:196937}}
    Iris and chives
    {{gwi:198330}}

• carrie630
    17 years ago

Except for the yellow lily (where'd that come from? LOL)
    I love blues and purples with a hint of lime

{{gwi:198331}}

(Beautiful photos - love your combinations and getting some great ideas...)

Carrie

• newskye
    17 years ago

bean_counter, I love your combinations! The irises and chives is a great pair, the colour and the height and everything go together so well, and your lilies and veronica have such an elegant look. The next stage in my own gardening is to learn to do that, make good combinations of plants instead of plunking things down wherever they'll grow.

• laurelin
    17 years ago

I enjoyed these two combinations from my yard last year:

{{gwi:198332}}
    Perennial mum 'Emperor of China' and culinary sage.

{{gwi:196938}}
    Lilium 'Arena' and Russian sage.

I got the digital camera later in the summer; I hope to take many more pictures this year (especially shots of combinations).

Laurel

• hoyess
    17 years ago

Blues, purples and yellows with bold pink

Blue spruce, Clethra in fall, Thuga 'Yellow Ribbon' and purple sandcherry with Rose of Sharon
    {{gwi:198398}}

Climbing rose "Angela" with rudbeckia and purple sandcherry (new this year, hopefully this will be better next year!)

{{gwi:198400}}

• jxa44
    Original Author
    17 years ago

One last question -- gottagarden, I'm thinking of adding that lysimachia to my red bed. is it prolific? can it take sun? we get really hot here in the summers.

thanx for your input.

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Salvia carradonna next to Alchemilla mollis, pink Peonies and Spirea Goldmound. Variegated foliage of Daphne 'Carol Mackie' in the foreground
    {{gwi:198402}}

Montauk daisies and goldenrod (with a variegated holly that needs to be moved)
    {{gwi:184548}}

Variegated yellow twig dogwood with Clematis 'Prince Charles' climbing up it along with some perennials in front (Achillea 'Anthea'& Penstemon 'Husker Red')
    {{gwi:198404}}

Gaura 'Pink Cloud' + Coreopsis 'Sweet Dreams'
    {{gwi:198405}}

Daylily 'Clothed in Glory' with Coreopsis 'Moonbeam'
    {{gwi:198406}}

Helianthemum 'Wisley Pink' with golden Heather, silvery Santolina, and Sedum spathulifolium 'Carnea' in background
    {{gwi:198408}}

• carrie630
    17 years ago

monique - those pictures are gorgeous - Such beautiful gardens -

Carrie

• reginaz
    17 years ago

Yellow Helianthemum and Veronica "Crater Lake Blue". {{gwi:198409}}

• carrie630
    17 years ago

I always liked verbena bonariensis and blue salvia - this was taken in early May

Carrie

{{gwi:198410}}

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

{{gwi:198411}}
    Rosa Mary Rose w/ Salvia Victoria (sorry - cheap camera!)

{{gwi:198412}}
    Aquilegia Woodside Variegated w/ Deutzia Pink Minor

{{gwi:198413}}
    Daylilies Buttered Popcorn & Prairie Blue Eyes

{{gwi:198414}}
    Digitalis grandiflora with Hosta Regal Splendor (and others)

:)
    Dee

• jxa44
    Original Author
    17 years ago

These gardens are just gorgeous! I'm getting tons of ideas for my spring gardens. Thank you all soooo much for posting.

• inthegarden_k
    17 years ago

dee, i particularly enjoyed seeing the foxglove and hosta. last year i wintersowed digitalis lutea, which has a similar leaf to your foxglove. it should bloom this year, and i have been wondering what to put near it. i have some hosta divisions, and i think now that that is what i will use. thanks! how much sun are they getting?

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

In_the_garden, this little bed is in full shade. It gets a tiny bit of dappled morning sun in early spring, and it is somewhat bright shade, (the sun hits that sidewalk that's visible for an hour or so) but otherwise the sun never touches that spot. The soil is also not so great, but I've been working on that.

This combination was pretty much pure accident. I don't feel the photo shows how really good the digitalis looks with this hosta, but I really love the Regal Splendor. The edging on its leaves match the digitalis blooms almost perfectly.

:)
    Dee

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

jxa - the lysimachia creeps quite quickly, and I suspect it's more aggressive in warmer climates. I have it in full sun and it is washed out, pale yellow and suffers mild burn. In half sun or part shade it thrives and is more lime than yellow.

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Monique - I LOVE the salvia and lady's mantle together! I had seen that combo in a magazine once, they had huge 20 foot drifts of both and it was gorgeous. Seeing your photo reminds me I DO need to do this combo, quite stunning together.

Bean counter - - I'm going to copy that iris and chive combination - they're perfect together.

• darlababy
    17 years ago

Bean counter- what the name of the pink daylily in your second photo? Beautiful!

• jxa44
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bean counter -- what's the name of that iris? it's gorgeous, and a plant that I can grow in my deer infested garden. please share its name.

• mrsgalihad
    17 years ago

Here is one of mine. Blue Flax, heirloom pink Coral Bells, Alpine Columbine and some heirloom yellow iris that show up better in RL. Not shown in the picture is Shasta Daisy "Sliver Princess" (supposedly) which blooms very early and complements the combination nicely.
    {{gwi:198415}}

• jxa44
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bean counter -- what's the name of that iris? it's gorgeous, and a plant that I can grow in my deer infested garden. please share its name.

• sweetclg
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful garden photos everyone. It's the perfect remedy for a subzero afternoon. I'm taking notes for this year's garden wish list.

Darla, that daylily looks like Siloam Double Classic to me.

• dkotchey
    17 years ago

Here is one of my favorite combos from last year. In the container I have Rumex Sanguineus, Petunia Burgundy (winter sown), Borage and Diascia Flying Colors Coral (I LOVE this plant!). Behind the container Coreopsis 'Moonbeam.

{{gwi:198416}}