Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crabbcat

how do i start tomato seedlings in my new grenhouse

crabbcat
15 years ago

I need some serious help here please. I'm starting 50 flats of heirloom tomatoes and a few veggies. They are probably going to be sprouting in the crowded plug trays tomorrow. They are indoors now warming and i have a light setup for the plugs indoor also if needed. I have a small greenhouse i can easilly heat and cool. My shade cloth is correct. I can start them indoors under lights if needed.

My basic question is this. Do i still need lights to start my seedlings or can i just start them in the greenhouse without lighting.

Do i supplement the greenhouse hours of light with additional hours of flourecent light. Can i wean them off longer light hours at certain stages of growth etc. Basiclly , how do you grown tomato seedlings from start to finish in a greenhouse? I have no clue. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• jbest123
    15 years ago

Almost all vegie seeds need no light to germinate. Some tiny flower seeds need light though. But your GH will provide all the light necessary. If the plants start to look leggy, try to lower the GH temperature.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• crabbcat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I believe i've got it all figured out except the lighting. I've been lurking on here a few months and read tons of material. I really wanted to make sure i wouldn't need 16 hrs of light a day like growing inside. Right now we only get around 12 hours a day of light outside and a lot of that is indirect. So i wanted to make sure i wouldn't have to suppliment light. the last question was how about the first sprouts, will they be ok in the greenhouse once they sprout, and will they get leggy if they happen to sprout late in the day and then be in the dark all night.Would it be smart or nessassary to leave a light on them at night the first few days when they are all sprouting?

• rachel_z6
    15 years ago

they'll be fine in the GH after they sprout, assuming it's warm enough in there.it's fine if they sprout right before night time. it's only natural. the 16 hours of light rule is for indoor lighting which is not as strong as the sun. in general veg in greenhouses don't need supplemental light, unless you're very far north and are starting things in the middle of winter. at this point, not needed.

• oldbusy1
    15 years ago

usually leggy plants are from too little light and warm growing conditions inside.

You will need some air movement across the plants to help make stronger stalks.

As long as you let them grow naturally in the greenhouse you should be fine. just get a gentle breeze from a fan to help with the stalk developement.

• greenhouser2
    15 years ago

I start mine inside in a bright sunroom because the nights are warmer in here. Then when most toms, peppers and eggplants have sprouted - out they go to the greenhouse. Nights are 60F in the GH and days vary from 60 to the 80s. Since toms have to be transplanted anyway, a little legginess doesn't bother me. They're transplanted up to their 1st pair of true leaves. Sometime in late April I plant them out in the garden.