Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephjmort

Help me save a dieing YEW in New Jersey

stephjmort
17 years ago

I live in an old house, and with this lovely old house came some old (at least 30 yr old) shrubs/trees. They were always well cared for and have all been fine in the past. Two years ago we began having rapid trouble. I lost a fantastic blue spruce that was up against the house in the back (facing NE). It had been trimmed up into a triangular umbrella and provided lovely shade to the screen porch. Then within months, I lost 2 tree yews in the front.

After doing research I realize exactly what killed all three of these... water. We had a sump pump pipe that came out of the basement, and had nowhere to go. We have since directed it far away from the house, but for awhile the blue spruce was puddle bound, at least a year. And I am sure that is what killed it. In the front with the Yews... bad gutters were creating a waterfall effect at the corners of the house where they were. They have since been repaired (but not in time), but now I fear a YEW SHRUB is suffering from all of this past water.

As you can see from the pics, the landscaping is very symmetrical. And I LOVE IT this way. Losing the one YEW would not be good. I would be forced to replace its left companion as well.

{{gwi:280386}}

{{gwi:280387}}

These YEWS sit at the bottom of a slope... and thanks to me doing some searches on here (great forum by the way) I realize that the slope is the problem. My soil does seem thick and clay like, and I am sure drainage is my issue. The left one has not been effected in the past by any water or gutter problems, which is why the left one appears to be fine.

About a month ago I noticed this yew turning a lighter green/yellow compared to the other one. Not thinking, I gave it a bit of miracle grow. But now it appears to be worsening.

Please tell me what I can do RIGHT NOW to save it. Do I need to add something specific to the soil? Please be specific, I know nothing about gardening whatsoever. Should I dig around it to give the roots air? Should I take the rocks away around the base? Should I dig around and add something to the soil, like sand or something? I will DO ANYTHING to save it.

These Yews only get sun in the evening, and then only for an hour or so. They get a bit more sun in winter when the leaves on the enormous trees across the street are gone, then the evening sun hits them a bit longer.

Please help me save my symmetrical yews. I really like them.

Stephanie

Comments (4)

• ginny12
    17 years ago

Get rid of the rocks on both yews right away and let the soil breathe. Check to see if the soil is too wet on the problem shrub. Then do what you have to to get the water away from the shrub. Don't put the rocks back--they are not good for your yews.

Another unfortunate possibility is the BLACK VINE WEEVIL. This imported insect has become a real problem for a number of shrubs but yews are one of its favorites. They hide in the soil in the daytime and come out at night to feed on the foliage. They will kill yews pretty fast. They do like moist soil too, another reason to fix that problem.

There is an Ortho product for this insect. I used it effectively but you have to follow directions carefully. First, Google "black vine weevil" to learn what you can. I can't say for sure that is your problem but it is worth checking out. Act fast--these insects will kill your shrub fast.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    17 years ago

and if one dies... don't worry about it.. remove both.. and replace with a better plant for the spot ...

most conifers prefer full sun and dry feet ... and maybe these had those parameters years ago .... and perhaps they are poorly sited now ..

change is not necessarily bad .. its an opportunity to put your imprint on the house...

one plant that does like reduced sun .. and damp feet... is the azalea/rhododendron family .. proof of which is what i think are rhodies just above the yews ...

good luck

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

I'm not sure there is anything you can do. If the root system has been compromised by poor drainage/gutter problem it is just a matter of time whether the plant will survive or fail completely. If you are convinced the water/drainage issue has been resolved, I'd play a bit of a waiting game to see how the plant will respond - it may come back or it may not. If not, it will give you an opportunity to select something else for that location, perhaps with a bit more character than a lump of green yew.

As to removing the rocks, that is not necessary. They do not prevent the soil from "breathing", in fact rocks are very commonly used as a mulch in many areas. Personally, I would prefer an organic mulch, but rocks can be effective as well in specific situations.

I'd also be a bit leery about how much damage vine weevils could do to a 30 y.o. established shrub. The adults only do cosmetic damage and this should be easily visible if this is the case. The larvae, if present in high enough numbers, can damage feeder roots, but on an established plant such as this, the roots are typically regenerated faster than the larvae can remove. It is HIGHLY unusual for a mature, established plant to fall prey to vine weevils. There is a possibility that the combination of both bad drainage or standing water AND weevils have gotten your yew where it is today, but I'd put my money on the drainage problem first.

• stephjmort
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. The rocks have always been there, but are not necessary. I have never neatened them up so they look half buried and scraggly. I will for now remove the rocks on the bad bush.

At this time of the year, with the limited sun, when the sun does shine on them in the evening, it comes in from that side. Maybe the direct sun on the soil will help dry it out. Then when it gets colder I will probably put the rocks back to protect the area. In the spring I will remove the rocks from both sides, and when we re-mulch the rest of the beds, I will have the natural mulch there instead.

I don't see any signs of insects, but I will read up on them to make sure before ruling that out. Is there any work I could do now to expedite drying the soil? Maybe I could use narrow stakes to make really deep holes in the area (deep aeration). Is this done, can it be helpful? It's raining today, I might go out and umbrella my poor baby. But I figure I have several more weeks of 60+ sunny weather to work on this problem. Thanks in advance for any tips. And thanks for following up so quickly.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert