Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulrx4

Very Sick Avocado Tree (Poisoned?)

PaulRx4
12 years ago

What could have caused this damage to a previously ok AVOCADO TREE????

Did some one pour a poison on this.?? A nearby FICUS tree in a pot looks the same,, all other

plants and trees nearby are ok. None of the grass around the avocado seems affected.

The leaves turned brown at bottom, then dropped off.

All of them!. This took place in about 6 weeks time, after

an added a fertilizer spike, all others that got this are

fine. I will try in include a picture, the trunk and

branches are largely greenish. Hope picture is ok

Paul in California

Image link:

Comments (3)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Impossible to say with the information given. If your tree was well established and has been doing fine at this location for a few years, I'd look for something unusual (unusual weather, different irrigation, etc).

BTW, the fertilizer spikes are a huge waste of money. They do a pitiful job fertilizing your trees (very likely not correct nutrient match for your tree's needs, very poor distribution of product, etc). I doubt they caused the death of your tree (unless you over applied them), but they certainly didn't help. Fertilizer spikes are truly one of the "snake oils" of today's horticulture industry.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

why is the pic dated 2008 and sideways...

a bigger pic would really help ...

if that was fert spike made to pound into mother earth for a full sized mature tree .. and you stuck it in a a small pot ... perhaps you are the poisoner .... otherwise what brandon said about them being a waste of money ...

ken

• Perico
    11 years ago

I have a 2 avocado trees for 12 years every year they gave avocados and this year it came it out sick the leaves have brown spots on the leaves also they lose their fruit before its ready.What do i do to save my avocado trees im sad can please somebody help me to cure my trees.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths