Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_tree

Greenhouse help!

ryan_tree
15 years ago

Ok, So I am growing redwoods in my house. I have built two small greenhouses and set them next to a bay window where they get tons of light. The Coast redwoods are Very tall now and the Giant Sequoia will be there soon. Is there any way I can make my own greenhouse out of homemade supplies? Please don't say STORM WINDOWS or doors or whatever because I can't get those. Just some basic ideas to store and grow more of my redwoods. I would like it to be able to fit on a ktichen table or something.

THANKS,

Ryan

P.S. Do you think local nurseries would be willing to buy any of my redwoods? What do you think of me growing redwoods?

Comments (6)

• bcfromfl
    15 years ago

I built a simple structure using pressure-treated 2x4s, two trees for support, and the 5.2-ounce fabric I've linked below. There are some tricks to constructing basically a "greenhouse tent", but it works well, especially with this fabric -- which I staple against the frame. Your structure will blow down long before the fabric will even hint at tearing! (We just had a severe t-storm Sunday afternoon with 80mph winds, and my gh hardly swayed. I know...because I was watching!) I wish I'd started using it years ago, as it would've saved me years of headaches and replacing ordinary 6-mil plastic every few months. This stuff's like iron, and easy to work with.

Sorry I can't answer your questions about the popularity of your redwoods.

-Bruce C.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5.2-ounce fabric at FarmTek

• ryan_tree
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks that sounds great =)!!

• greenhouser
    15 years ago

It's my understanding that redwoods become huge trees and need certain conditions found only on the west coast to survive. They're not the kind of tree you see in people's back yards or lining streets.

• dirtytoes2
    15 years ago

Redwoods do indeed become huge trees and the get there quickly. In the right conditions they can grow over five feet in height per year (they are nice in that they don't spread in width nearly as much). The right conditions, however, require constant moisture as is found where the wind blows the moisture off the ocean. Watering doesn't necessarily compensate, the trees near me get NO rain from May 'til October. As for selling them to nurseries, I think they would be reluctant to sell something that probably isn't recommended for their local region.

• babalubird
    15 years ago

Thanks a bunch for info on this greenhouse covering and link. High winds are our problem. I've saved the info.

Connie

• bcfromfl
    15 years ago

Connie -- one thing that will be helpful for you (if you decide to build something similar to what I describe) is what I've learned with roof support. Originally, I used some 4x8 wood lattice I had across the roof, supported every four feet. The lattice blocks too much light, though, and what I've decided to do is carefully lift off the fabric away from the roof, pull out the wood lattice, and replace with heavy-gauge 4-foot wire fencing...the kind with the 2" x 4" openings.

I may have to add some 2x2 purlins since the wire won't be as stiff as the lattice -- I'll have to see when I set it in place.

Hope this helps.

-Bruce