Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimtnc

Tow Spreaders

jimtnc
16 years ago

I know this has been rehashed before, but as of 2008, what's the better buy in the 100-125# tow spreader for home use for a tractor?

I've been hearing horror stories about all of the brands. I'm don't wanna pay hundreds of dollars for it either. I'm hearing some folks are filling the hopper up to the top and then the agitator won't spin at the hole, then the wheel won't spin, etc. Sounds like a lot of problems for a simply designed attachment. What's y'all's input.

Comments (18)

• sergeant
    16 years ago

Check out Agri-fabs new professional line of Tow behind spearders. It looks like they may fit the bill for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agri-fab

• docrx
    16 years ago

jimtnc- tractor supply stores ( if in your area) have a good hands on selection of tow spreaders. Whatever one you buy- be caution when going on slopes and hills so that the spreader does not overturn due to shifting of seed,fertilizer, etc. docRx

• soccer_dad
    16 years ago

Craftsman has there little 85# model on sale now for $65. I lean towards the 175# Agrifab at Northerntool for $199. It has the same axle as the 250#. Oversized for my needs I wouldn't have to fill it up to do the job and should be better able to handle a load. Earthway has a good reputation, I think one of the members here has one. Frankly, at the homeowner level they are probably all about the same until you get into stainless steel frames and accuracy of spreader openings. You could always check out the one below and let us all know how it works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spyker 299

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All right soccer_dad, you talked me into that Spyker. Now, let's talk about donations from you fine folks so I can buy it. He he he. Yeah, like I haven't done enough to piss my wife off over all this OPE stuff that I just had to have.

But oddly enough the 85-100# Agri-fab was one of those spreaders that people were raggin' on. They said it wasn't made well enough. So given the fact that most of them at that price point are gonna be on the cheap side, how much do I have to spend to get a nice solid dependable 100-125# spreader that looks and feels like that Spyker you have linked?

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I ordered the Earthway 2170. Looks like something I could use for some time to come. I really didn't want to spend that much, bu tlike they say you get what you pay for...usually.

Thanks for all your input.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• als_in_nh
    16 years ago

You'll like that Earthway 2170. Good choice without breaking the bank. It works very well.

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

My Earthway gets the job done. IMO, it's a great value.

-Deerslayer

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the input, guys. I may have overdone it, but I also got the ice melt spreader. I really have no need for ice melt, but I think it may help me in applying some heavier granulated materials, such a s bagged compost, etc.

Anyway, it has a large aperture for dispersal, so I'm gonna try it. It's the closest thing I'm seen yet that's half-way reasonable for spreading fine compost. Worth a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• soccer_dad
    16 years ago

Jim,
    Please let us know if you get that spreader to work with compost. That Spyker I linked is one of the few that lists a mulch spreading capability. It would almost be worth the price if it would spread compost.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sure thing, soccer_dad. Will do.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Got the spreaders delivered yesterday, but I just got finished planting a tree so I wasn't in any mood to mess with those things. Still in the box, but I'll go through them the next day or so.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, got a question for you guys with tow spreaders: I've got a lawn tractor, and I'm wondering how fast I should go to properly dispense spreader contents that I would normally do while walking (I do a medium brisk walk)? Probably not very fast, but has anyone worked it out or do you just play around with it until it seems right?

• gator_rider2
    16 years ago

Third gear wide open

• wally2q
    16 years ago

When you buy a spreader, it comes with a manual. In the manual, it explains how fast you should travel with the spreader, for proper dispersion of fertilizer.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The only thing that came with this spreader was an installation guide and a settings rate matrix...nothing on tractor speed or guidelines, so I assume they expect the owner to utilze common sense and experiment until I get it right. Perhaps that's what I'll do...and maybe try 3rd gear too. :)

• soccer_dad
    16 years ago

Jim,
    You can calibrate by eye on the move or actually go through measuring out the weight of what you are spreading per 1000 and adjust openings and speed to get the right amount over that 1000 sq ft. I'd start with figuring out what consistent tractor speed can you maintain over your lawn. Then adjust spreader opening to get the right application rate. The best explanation I've read on calibration is in the Lesco catalog, but I didn't find it online.

That is one reason I like organic grains - I don't have to be too concerned when my calibration eye is all hosed up; its just another trip to the store.

• dynamike59
    16 years ago

I allways run mine at half the recommended application rate and then make more passes to insure a even distribution.
    Try to spread early in the morning or after a rain when spreading a weed killer because with weed and feed the weed killer is a very fine dust that needs to stick to the weeds.
    My neighbor has a lawn care service do his yard and I save about $180 a year by doing it myself.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, I guess I could measure out the distance, then see have close I come to emptying the bucket. I'll probably be using my smaller tractor and it has 5 gears, so a little testing is in order.

Now that is something I hadn't thought of, spreading when the leaves are wet. I know I've always been told and it's in just about every instructional piece I've read to spread pre-m when it's dry then water it in good so it forms a film at the soil level, but I haven't thought about other types of applications. Hmmmm, might have to think about that one a bit.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio