Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsox_gw

What do you have that you don't water? (not roses)

redsox_gw
16 years ago

My yard is a medium size but because of the layout, I don't have any large beds. So I have a bed over here, a bed over there kind of thing. It makes watering very cumbersome. Even though Diane has suggsted I can still use drip irrigation, and I hope to get some for Mother's Day, it is still a difficult task, esp with 2 small children.

So I am looking for things that are very drought resistant that you don't need to water. For example, last year with the drought and all, I never watered this Japanese Quince that came with the house and it still bloomed this year like a complete trooper. Things like that.

Comments (17)

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Redsox:

How scrubby of a plant are you up for? If you don't mind a perennial that is tough but not delicate in appearance try Achillea Moonshine. Another cool perennial is Autumn Joy Sedum but I don't know how you feel about their appearance. Also try googling 'xeriscape' plants.

Kate

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Lavenders, no matter where you live, they will grow. At least I grew them in an area where it snowed every year. I had them at the back of the property where if I wanted to water I had to hand water. They lived mostly on whatever rain I had. Still grow them and it's hot here and I never give them extra water, they catch whatever from the sprinklers. I may water the roses extra when the heat hits but never them. Same with Rosemary, I grew it to try to hold my banks in over retaining walls. That's pretty when it flowers and nice looking anyways.

However, over time these will get large. They are huge where I am now but I have a 10 month growing season too. I used to grow them in an essentially 3 month.

• kandm
    16 years ago

I bought a cute mini tree at Home Depot for about 2 bucks, it's called a houseplant called Aralia Balfouriana; Polyscias balfourana, grown by Exotic Angel Plants. I have forgotten to water this poor thing for weeks and weeks and weeks, it will start to droop eventually, but one day of heavy water perks it right up. It's amazing lol.

Here is a pic of one: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/interiorscape/plants/polysciasbalfourianapen.jpg

• duchesse_nalabama
    16 years ago

Redsox, are these beds in the sun or the shade?

• seattlesuze
    16 years ago

Russian sage, rudbeckia, lavender, rosemary, shasta daisies, but all of these must be mature plants. Every baby needs some water.

Sue

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    16 years ago

Lavender and sedum... They must be watered until they are established and then they don't care...

• cecily
    16 years ago

spring bulbs, bearded iris, sedum in sun, hostas in shade, butterfly bushes in sun

• berrytea4me
    16 years ago

This is high grassland desert. We are in perpetual drought here, more so in winter months...if you don't have a sprinkler system not much grows (just got mine in last fall) and they must tolerate long, dry, cold winter...but these are fool hardy- some want a little water but will survive with amazingly low amounts and some even thrive w/o any additional to our very low rainfall:
    Lilac, lamium, russian sage, other salvias/sages, artemesia, bearded iris, asiatic and oriental lilies, daylilies, perennial geraniums, mallow, grape hyacinth, bergenia, hardy chrysanthamums, penstemon, daisy, japanese iris, sedums, sweet william, all peony (tree, interectional, etc), french taragon, greek oregano, alliums, flowering almond, columbine, oriental poppies, forsythia, echinacea, rudbeckia, sunflowers (annuals), several ornamental grasses, junipers...lots more

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Both beds in sun and shade. I didn't realize sedum don't need to be watered. I like some sedum and others I think look like broccoli.

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

Agastache. I had one by the mailbox and my hose doesn't reach that far. It did great and flowered all summer through the drought. The two violets that were next to it fried and had to be moved.

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Agastache is very appealing but not tolerant of humidity. We major in humidity.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    16 years ago

What's blooming now that doesn't get watered? Daffodils, tulips, hellebores, veronica 'Georgia Blue' (great plant, BTW) epimediums should start any day now, Virginia bluebells (go dormant after bloom). Pulmonarias do OK so long as they get shade.

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

Have you tried an agastache Redsoxs? It gets very humid here too but mine didn't seem to notice or care. I know they're very sensitive to winter wet, but even then there are a couple of varieties (Blue Fortune and Black Adder) that are more resistant. My Black Adder is already regrowing and was very pretty last year. The one by the mailbox was Sinning, but I don't know yet if it will come back.

• duchesse_nalabama
    16 years ago

Redsox, in case right now you want to read about different kinds of plants and plan out your beds so they will look like what you want them to, you might be interested in some perennial design books.

One I like is "The Perennial Gardener's Design Primer" by Cohen and Ondra. I read it in the library and then bought a used copy online through Amazon. the information is realistic, I think. Also, a book I love is "The Well Tended Perennial Garden" - she tells you how to maintain and prune those perennials you wind up buying.

The Southern Living Garden Book gives a run down on almost every plant that will grow in the south. I bought this one used too and refer to it often.

You've gotten some great advice on plants, but if you're like me, you only have so much money to spend and will want to invest it in what will give you pleasure. I always like to know what I'm getting before I buy it.

Good luck, and your babies will grow up too soon and then you'll be able to garden a lot more. In the meantime, I applaud your gardening at all; mine were a mess when my kids were little.

Also, if there's any kind of garden club in your area, there will be a lot of old ladies like me who will love to help you get started and give you some plants from their yard.

• rainbow_2007
    16 years ago

I got this list from a thread on another forum.

Achillea
    Agastache
    Asclepia
    Baptista
    Echinacea
    Euphorbia
    Gaillardia
    Lavandula
    Nepeta
    Salvia

Here is a link that might be useful: Drought tolerrant plants

• prairie-rose
    16 years ago

Potentilla--every drop that it accidentally gets from the hose when I'm watering something else is a bonus. I have "Goldfinger" and "Katherine Dykes".

• katefisher
    16 years ago

I should quality my statement about the Sedum. It is not that I don't water them at all. More to the point I watered them some until established followed by intermittent watering during the summer.

Kate

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting