Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosepedal_gw

Blooms in the gh!

rosepedal
15 years ago

Yippe they finally bloomed and are taking up the whole gh. As soon as they are done. I am cutting them down. We have to get the water barrell in there. Th eground will be freezing soon and we have to turn off the water. Boo Hoo it is a lot of work with no water out there. Hope you all are doing well with your gh's. Post some pictuers... Barb

Comments (21)

• aezarien
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. What variety of Brug is that?

In the next photo in your photobucket album, what is the big purple leaved thing planted with what looks like cannas?

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi aezarien,

I wish I knew the name. I bought it half off with no tag this past summer. I liked it. It had the serrated leaves on it. Thanks for the nice comments...The plant you are wondering about is a red castor bean plant. I started it from seed this past winter in the gh. They might even be hardy in your zone not sure though...They are easy to start from seed and get pretty big in one season...Barb

• greenhouser2
    15 years ago

Beautiful flowers. I have a barrel in my larger GH I fill from the hose on warm days when I can leave the door open a few inches. In 24 hrs it's warm enough to use.

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks greenhouser. Remember last year all I had to share were cups. LOL I am so happy with how things turned out. It seemed like forever to get the gh up and functioning with actual plants. By the way thanks for all the help with the plants I was trying to learn about. What happened to ole dawg have you heard from him.....Barb

• rjinga
    15 years ago

Barb, I emailed Old Dawg a few times and he never responded :( Last I heard he had finally gotten a permanent full time job and has probably disappeared into the working class DOGS :)

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL that cracks me up! Barb

• ladylotus
    15 years ago

Rosepedal,

The burgundy colored plant next to your canna is a red castor bean plant. It is very poisonous so be careful and wash your hands after touching any seeds or plant leaves that form. They make that poison called ricin (sp?) from this plant. ha ha.

~Tj~

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks TJ That is my newest fad along with the brugs. Next year lookout brugs and thugs. LOL Did I ever tell you how beutful your property is. I just loved your pictuers. Wishing you all the best with your garden tour this spring...Think of all the brugs in bloom and the smell. Everyone will love it.....Barb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Everbody,

I hope your holiday was great. We went to see the family. I bought a new digital when we were in the big city. My digital was so old. I cant belive how fast the technology changes. I figured out the flower button. LOL Here are some blooms in the gh right now. The geraniums are going gangbusters. Nice to be home....Smile

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Nice blossoms. I shall add Christmas cacti and pelargoniums to my list of desirable plants for winter 2009.

Right now my pentas are blooming and so is pineapple sage.

Nell

• greenhouser2
    15 years ago

My geraniums are also blooming like mad in the GH. Odd how they don't do well outside over the summer. Their leaves are smaller and they have less and smaller flowers in summer. They're also a paler green. Yet in the short days of winter in the GH they go nuts.

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nell post some pics. I would love to see them....

Greenhouser isnt it strange same with me. I think I will grow more geraniums they love winter how weird. My leaves even got their black rings in them when I moved them in. I never liked geraniums now I love them. I have a variegated one I am waiting for some blooms on.

I have found abulitons hate the gh. Bugs! But no bugs all summer outside. I love how they bloom all seasom though and will not give up on them. How is your winter going? The forum is so slow this year compared to last year. I hope it picks up....I miss everybody....Barb

• greenhouser2
    15 years ago

I noticed a lot of people are no longer here. It seems once their GH is up and running they fade away. :(

I never had much luck with abulitons. They look OK for awhile and then die off, just like Fuchsias. I can't keep Fuchsias alive here either although they thrived on Long Island NY. There they got huge with hundreds of flowers over the summer, but were real whitefly magnets.

• orchiddude
    15 years ago

Nice flowers, but where are the ORCHIDS? Got to have some orchids laying around somewhere.

greenhouser2..your correct, I have noticed also, they come in, talk, get knowledge and run away. Never to be heard of again. I might be the longest running person here on the forum. I think Terri might be longer than me. Not many left.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Two butterflies turned up today, a dogface sulphur and a cloudless sulphur, visiting blooming cuttings of pentas and porterweed.

{{gwi:306753}}

{{gwi:306754}}{{gwi:306755}}

{{gwi:306757}}{{gwi:306758}}

Nell

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Greenhouser,

Yea or they might get new interests. It was fun last winter. I just recieved a wonderful trade of seeds. One of them is Abuliton Megapotamicum. I am really excited about growing these seeds. The plant is just beutiful. I will deal with bugs just to have them. LOL

Hi Nell,

How neat! Wow plants and butterflys. I really love your pictures. That is amazing how they came to visit you. Are pentas easy to grow? I would like to try some of those this spring. Can we grow them from seed? Love the pics. Fun to see color in the wintertime. By the way everyvody still waiting fro my 1st grandbaby to come into the world. My daughter in law is due anyday. A new baby in the family. I am so excited.....Barb

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

I've wondered if some visitors who are so enthused about a new greenhouse get discouraged when so much trial and error, and expense is involved and the first year results don't look like the dude's. I see the same questions over and over about heat, cool, shade, water and electricity and then the questioners disappear.

I've seen pelleted pentas seed for sale, Barb, but saved seed has never germinated for me. Cuttings root fairly easily in late summer for keeping over in the greenhouse, and small pots of pentas are not expensive. Sometimes they survive the winter here, sometimes not, so I take a few cuttings as insurance. I just like to see cuttings grow and bloom. I'm a child at heart, playing in a playhouse and easily entertained.

I hope the baby is healthy and all are well. The only thing about being a Grandmother is, you have to live with a Grandpa and they can be so sappy over a young'un. LOL.
    Nell

• angelialyn
    15 years ago

I'm probably one of the folks that came, asked, and run away but I really haven't!! I've been reading and checking in almost every day. But hubby has worked hard to get my green house finished for me so I have been spending a LOT of time out there playing. You can see the progress he made at the link below. He built it out of an old car port frame. Keep in mind that it is very picture intensive because I've tried to chronicle all his hard work. Hopefully when I have a little time I'll rework the web page to make it more friends.

I do want to thank everyone for all your great information and support!!

Thanks,
    Angelia
    Mom to a new greenhouse!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Green House Pictures

• funnylady
    15 years ago

What a great job your DH did. He sounds alot like mine. Takes left overs and makes all kinds of things. Never know what will show up around our place.
    Have fun in your wounderful new greenhouse.

• halinva
    15 years ago

Hi all. I bet a lot of people are like me. They Lurk and Learn. I've been following the goings on at this site for a couple of years - ever since I bought a HFGH, had all of the trials and tribulations so many like me had, and THEN found all about the help that was available here. I'm not sure that I've ever contributed, but I've sure enjoyed being a observer and an appreciator of all of the wonderful things some of you are experiencing.

So, raise your hands, you other lurkers!

Hal (on the York River in VA)

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nell, I will haveto keep a eye for them this spring. They are pretty and butterfly magnets. Thanks about the baby. I hope she haves it soon she is getting crabby...LOL

Angelina, Love your new GH Congrats. Hubby did a good job, you too on cleaning the windows. LOL Isnt it fun to have one....

Hi Hal you lurker it is about time you come out and say HI. I also lurked fro awhile before I came out to say hi too...Glad to see ya. It would be interesting to see how many lurkers their actually are......Barb ps Hi funny lady!