Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sidstollings

Greenhouse For Rent

sidstollings
17 years ago

Hi, I live in Maryland and I hybridize hybrid tropical Hibiscus plants. I currently do not have a greenhouse to put them in for the winter. I am looking for a greenhouse to rent. If anyone can help me, please advise....the weather is getting very cold and I am afraid of losing 22 years worth of work...these are show quality plants!...thanks,

Sid Stollings

djsonnyhib@yahoo.com

Comments (6)

• beescorner
    17 years ago

Hi sidstollings

I also grow tropical hibiscus among my favotite are .
    my Heartbreak Hotel & Highvoltage

It seems no one wants to tell you, that rental greenhouses are not in big demand therefore almost impossible to find. At such a late start of this season building one may prove a real task but doable.
    I would get on the other garden web greenhouse forums on this site and read everything I could. There are many kits out there some are quite easy to set up others are not. If you have never constructed a greenhouse it will take much longer reguardless of what type you choose.

• yourpal
    17 years ago

Does your town or a nearby town have a municipal greenhouse? If so, you can approach them and offer to pay some amount for them to give you some room. Call town hall and see if this exists, or if someone on the in the Grounds Dept has some knowledge.

Check with your local garden club. Your state garden club will have a list of all the clubs. Do a web search and contact the closest one. Perhaps they have some members who have space in their home greenhouses.

Is there a national hibiscus society? Contact them and see if there is a member within driveable distance. See what s/he does for greenhouse space.

Call your local Master Gardeners. Explain your situtation and see if they have any suggestions. Call the local Extension Service for same.

Do you have a space in your basement or a room in your house, or an attached garage where you can set up grow lights? Does a relative or a neighbor? With 22 years at stake, better to have less than optimal growing conditions than dead hibiscus.

• beescorner
    17 years ago

Quote from yourpal
    "Do you have a space in your basement or a room in your house, or an attached garage where you can set up grow lights? Does a relative or a neighbor? With 22 years at stake, better to have less than optimal growing conditions than dead hibiscus."
    This is an excelent post by "yourpal"

Even in the hands of a host greenhouse caretaker at least the plants will receive some protection while you work on a permanate solution.

• stressbaby
    17 years ago

Sid, I suppose many of us were wondering what you did for the previous 21 years! Did you just move to MD? Did you lose your GH space?

Good ideas above. I suppose that you have found a solution of sorts by now. Please post back.

SB

• sidstollings
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi All, Thanks for all the info...I still have not found a greenhouse. In the last 22 years I was lucky enough to find people that would rent spaces in their greenhouses. With the rising heating costs many of them are no longer using the greenhouses or renting them! I suppose I could keep them in a garage with grow lights and a plug in heater if need be but they grow scraggly and I lose alot of plants. Thanks for everyone's input......
    Sonny

• ponderosaq
    17 years ago

Many schools now have greenhouses (colleges too) perhaps with $ being so tight they might like to rent some space to you. The students might also benefit from this experience. I don't know where you are in MD in other words how rural you may be. There is a site called Homesteading Today where you might post your need. Someone there might be interested and have space available.Before I got a GH I grew many things with lights and heat in a basement( maybe garage for you). Not ideal but better than losing all those years of walk. Good luck in your quest.
    PQ